INQUIRY question

Binford, Charles CBinford at pirus.com
Mon Aug 6 11:09:56 PDT 2001

* "Binford, Charles" <CBinford at Pirus.com>
*
Jim,  Even the VPD pages have the 'PERIPHERAL QUALIFIER' and 'PERIPHERAL
DEVICE TYPE' fields, so you can still say "there's nothing there".  I agree,
however, it would have been good if words were there to say the rest of the
data is ignored.  Maybe that is assumed by all?

What bothered me when I looked at this was I didn't see what a device server
is supposed to do when the VPD data is not available yet.  For example,
suppose the Page x83 info is stored on the media which is not yet spun up?
The Serial Number page explicitly says to return ASCII spaces - what to do
on Device ID page?  A not ready, need spun up check condition seems in
order, but that is a no-no with Inquiry.

Charles Binford
Pirus Networks
316.315.0382 x222