SBP-2 study group

Peter Johansson PJohansson at acm.org
Wed Sep 20 16:12:10 PDT 2000

* Peter Johansson <PJohansson at ACM.org>
*
At 02:39 PM 9/20/00, Gene.Milligan at seagate.com wrote:

>Backward compatibility is desirable with either path.

Pardon me for rearranging the order of your comment, Gene, but I wish to
emphasize that your point above is preeminent. I strongly agree.

Having said that, it is with a certain apprehension that I attempt a
response to the rest. Discussions on cultural differences among standards
groups often reach a speedier conclusion in face-to-face meetings than they
do in the medium of EMail.

>I would characterize that as work on SBP-3 should be commenced and include
>the work items discussed in the report. A revision is certainly possible
>but a follow on standard is often more palatable. When standards are
>implemented, some manufacturers feel uncomfortable with no longer having
>the published standard the same as the one they implemented.

I think the distinction between a "follow-on" vs. a "revision" standard is
cultural and likely a distinction without much of a difference.

For example, products compliant with IEEE Std 1394-1995 do not have a
problem with the advent of IEEE Std 1394a-2000, nor will they have a
problem with the eventual advent of IEEE Std 1394-200X in some future year.
The pertinent standard does not cease to exist with the publication of
revised or follow-on efforts.

Many standards bodies follow this model. Which is not to say that others
are right and T10 is wrong; it is just to point out that this is not a
truly substantive matter that impinges upon the utility of the standards in
question.

At this point I could present my own opinions on the naming and numbering
of standards, SBP in this case, but I sincerely believe that the dialog
will be more compact if conducted in person instead of over the reflector.

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.
98 Colorado Avenue