SBP-2 study group

Peter Johansson PJohansson at acm.org
Wed Sep 20 12:11:48 PDT 2000

* Peter Johansson <PJohansson at ACM.org>
*
An informal report of the SBP-2 study group that I convened last Friday in
Huntington Beach, CA has been posted to the T10 site as
ftp://ftp.t10.org/t10/document.00/00-371r0.pdf. Please refer to the PDF
file for more detailed information; a brief summary of the study group
results are as follows:

1) There is consensus that enhancements and extensions to SBP-2 are
appropriate and timely.

2) A revision of SBP-2 should be commenced and include the work items
discussed in the report.

3) With respect to one work item in particular, isochronous facilities for
SBP-2, there is recognition that significant effort has taken place in the
last two years in the area of AV disks and that the locus of that expertise
is the 1394 Trade Association. The T10 members present at the study group
meeting wish to find a suitable venue (or venues) for the standards
activity so that the broadest possible participation of experts is encouraged.

Because of the importance of the last item, I will be presenting a briefing
on SBP-2 standards activity during the Architecture working group meeting
Thursday, October 26 in Redmond, WA. This will be an opportunity to explore
the ways in which AV/C and SBP-2 approaches to isochronous data may be
complementary, to investigate the necessity for common interchange formats
(at least in the realm of material that is not copy protected) and to
discuss the applications of isochronous SBP-2 to other peripherals (e.g.,
printers and scanners).

In my opinion, AV/C and SBP-2 are not direct replacements for each other.
Never the less, in order to leverage the experience already gained within
AV/C, we should attempt to harmonize SBP-2 isochronous facilities with the
work that has gone before.

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.