P1394> SBP-2 Targets

Eric Anderson ewa at apple.com
Tue Sep 12 11:50:49 PDT 2000

* "Eric Anderson" <ewa at apple.com>
*
Multiple targets, represented by multiple Unit Directories, are
fully allowed by the SBP-2 and 1394 specs.  A computer, in
particular, is likely to publish multiple SBP-2 units for
unrelated purposes.

In principle, multiple targets represented by multiple unit
directories would be fully independent, aside from sharing
a node's characteristics such as node ID and GUID.  In practice
the level of independence depends on the sophistication of
your microcontroller.

I haven't kept up with the 1212r work; it may change the
terminology somewhat.  But I don't believe it adds any
restrictions or limits to what 1394 and SBP-2 allow.  In
particular if you have multiple instance directories, and
each one has a (different) unit directory associated with
it, I believe that would represent multiple targets.

Multiple instance directories, each pointing to the same unit
directory, would be different (if 1212r allows that).  The unit
directory would have a single management agent; each node is
limited to at most one login to that agent (by SBP-2); this would
effectively be a single target.

post to it), by the way.

Eric Anderson
Apple Computer