use of non-volatile persistent reservations

Robert Snively rsnively at Brocade.COM
Tue Nov 14 13:30:02 PST 2000

* Robert Snively <rsnively at Brocade.COM>
*
Ed,

Non-volatile persistent reservations are used by at least one
clustering environment I have heard of.  They are routinely
implemented by all FC disk drives today, although there is
a short initialization time during power up when the
reservation information is not available and standard specified
behaviors occur.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Edward A. Gardner [mailto:eag at ophidian.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2000 11:09 AM
To: T10 Reflector
Subject: use of non-volatile persistent reservations

* "Edward A. Gardner" <eag at ophidian.com>
*
Does anyone out there implement and/or use non-volatile persistent
reservations, or plan to in the near future?

Due to some architectural characteristics of IB and VI, SRP has some
problems with implementing non-volatile persistent reservations in a usable
manner.  I believe that iSCSI (or anything layered on TCP) has the same
characteristics and the same problems.  While I think I know how to address
this, there are also a lot of other things that are urgent.  I'm trying to
judge whether this is necessary before a usable SRP can exist, or can be
deferred a few months.

I'll be happy to keep any reply in confidence, just please remember to ask
that I do so.

Edward A. Gardner               eag at ophidian.com
Ophidian Designs                719 593-8866 voice
1262 Hofstead Terrace           719 593-8989 fax
Colorado Springs, CO  80907     719 210-7200 cell

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org