QAS and non-packetized mode

Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
Tue May 30 06:49:39 PDT 2000

* Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
*

<<the patented QAS algorithm in SPI-4>>

     Rob: Was this a response to the call for patents?

<<I think the main technical reason for limiting QAS to packetized
mode was to simplify message snooping.>>

     I think many of the decisions T10 has taken subsequent to SPI-2 have
been arbitrary decisions that, if they belong, belong in a profile not in a
standard (e.g. Fast 160 for packetized only). I agree with Rob on his
request.

     I will confess that I am having a debate with myself on the generic
topic of proper and improper limitations. Luckily I will win the debate. I
have long held that the role of a standard is to limit alternatives. But
sufficient options are needed to allow SCSI to cover a very broad market.
So avoid two ways to do the same thing but allow all desired things to be
done.

Gene

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org