Draft minutes of T10 plenary meeting #37 - May 18, 2000

Peter Johansson PJohansson at acm.org
Wed May 24 16:56:37 PDT 2000

* Peter Johansson <PJohansson at ACM.org>
*
At 04:15 PM 5/24/00, John Lohmeyer wrote:

>12.4  IEEE 1394 [Johansson]
>
>Gary Robinson reported that 1394 and 1394a are on fast track at ISO/IEC JTC 1.
>1394b is in IEEE ballot resolution.

Although this is almost correct---and certainly correct in spirit---I think
the T10 minutes should be more accurate.

The Chair of the IEEE Microprocessor Standards Committee, Don Wright, has a
letter in preparation to request the IEEE initiate the "fast track" process
(the MSC is the sponsor for the IEEE 1394 standards).

On a related topic, IEEE P1394.3, Peer to Peer Data Transport (PPDT), is in
the process of ballot group formation. PPDT extends the usefulness of SBP-2
by specifying how it may be used in a more peer-to-peer fashion. That is,
less importance is attached as to which device is the initiator and which
the target. More information, including the draft standard, is available at
http://www.pwg.org/p1394/index.html.

I know this wasn't presented at the meeting, so maybe it can't go in the
minutes, but if the Chair and Secretary can accept a tardy electronic
liaison report, I encourage them to do so.
.

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.