Bob.Snively at EBay.Sun.COM
Fri Mar 31 12:22:10 PST 2000
* From the T10 Reflector (t10 at t10.org), posted by:
* Bob Snively <Bob.Snively at EBay.Sun.COM>
Having received the proper amount of well-justified flack, I am proposing
that the untagged queueing not be made obsolete, using the accompanying
language. The reasoning is:
1) Simple queued and untagged devices actually act the same,
except that untagged operations are checked for command overlap.
2) Support of untagged queueing is mandatory in SAM-2.
3) Untagged queueing is widely used in tape and library applications.
Since the bits will be set, it is important to continue to
define their usage.
4) Same as 3, but for booting.
The wording I placed in 150r2 is:
(T) Page 37 - section 188.8.131.52 - The untagged task option should be make
obsolete in FCP-2 as it serves no useful purpose.
This proposal is rejected. SAM-2 unambiguously requires a protocol to support
both tagged and untagged tasks. Tape functionality is almost exclusively
implemented with untagged tasks. Boot functionality is almost exclusively
implemented with untagged tasks. While the use of that attribute may not
create a meaningful difference in the behavior of the devices, the attribute
will absolutely be used by present day drivers and must be supported.
* For T10 Reflector information, send a message with
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org
More information about the T10