(SSC) tape density codes for Travan cartridges

Adam Steinberg adam at pigsty.com
Tue Jun 27 14:57:26 PDT 2000

* Adam Steinberg <adam at pigsty.com>
*
Hi Jim,

Until about 1997 the QIC organization assigned the medium types/density
codes for QIC-157/DC6000/DC2000/Travan tape cartridges. The last known
definitions are at

http://www.qic.org/html/standards/9x.x/qic95-101e.pdf

Because QIC was running out of density codes to allocate, they decided it
was futile to continue and left the assignment of new codes up to the
individual manufacturers. Thus, today tape backup software developers have
had to deal with the same TR-4/5 tape cartridge appearing with completely
different density codes when inserted into a drive from H-P, Tecmar,
Seagate, Exabyte (RIP), and AIWA (RIP).

How to change this messy situation? I'm not a standards god, and don't work
in the tape industry any more (for now) so it would be up to precisely
yourself and other tape vendors to agree on a standard, if that is desired.

Adam Steinberg

on 6/27/00 12:34 PM, Jim_Hatfield at tecmar.com at Jim_Hatfield at tecmar.com

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org