FCP-2 problem

Zeitler, Carl Carl.Zeitler at COMPAQ.com
Thu Jun 15 05:48:52 PDT 2000

* "Zeitler, Carl" <Carl.Zeitler at compaq.com>
*
Have been on vacation so missed out on all the fun.  I believe Matt's
solution works.  Another solution is to Abort the Exchange.  In other words,
if the Initiator receives an REC for any OX_ID currently in use, the
Initiator aborts the Exchange currently using the ambiguous OX_ID.  This is
a double error situation and had thought that we had agreed to do Abort
Exchange in double error situations at the last meeting. (It could be a
single error situation, where FCP_CONF is lost and the REC from the Target
and the new Command with the same OX_ID from the Initiator pass each other.
This could be mitigated by cycling OX_ID usage.)

If there is no FCP_CONF, then the only solution I can think of is to not
reuse the OX_ID, as previously suggested, for >R_R_TOV.  However this
requires that the Target discard the context after R_R_TOV or you have the
same problem.  So the Target would have to guarantee that it shall discard
the context(a Class 3 Recovery Qualifier?) between R_R_TOV and R_R_TOV +
E_D_TOV(?).  And the Initiator shall not reuse the same OX_ID for R_R_TOV +
E_D_TOV(?).

Working with only half a deck (no Class 2 ACKS)in error recovery situations
is a challenge.

Regards, Carl

Carl Zeitler
Compaq Computer Corporation
MS 150801, 20555 SH249, Houston, TX 77070
Phone:281-518-5258 Fax: 281-514-5270