T10 Vote for 14776-381

John Lohmeyer lohmeyer at t10.org
Tue Feb 29 08:42:25 PST 2000

* John Lohmeyer <lohmeyer at t10.org>
*
Debbie,

Since Gene Milligan is IR, perhaps I should ask him to provide your the
formal recommendation from T10.  However, to get the information to you
ASAP, below is the letter ballot results on this matter.  You can also
retrieve a PDF of the results at:

   ftp://ftp.t10.org/t10/document.00/00-010r0.pdf

T10 wishes to recommend a Yes vote on FDIS 14776-381 with comments.  The
comments are those attached to the Yes vote from Ralph Weber.  The T10
letter ballot passed 37:0:0:2=39.

Best Regards,
John Lohmeyer, Chair T10

Voting Results on T10 Letter Ballot 00-009r0 on
Recommending U.S. Yes vote on OMC FDIS

Organization                      Name                 S Vote Add'l Info
--------------------------------- -------------------- - ---- ----------
Adaptec, Inc.                     lawrence lamers      P Yes
Advansys                          Ram Rangarajan       P Yes
AMP, Inc.                         Charles Brill        P Yes
Amphenol Interconnect             Bill Mable           P Yes
Ancot Corp.                       Bart Raudebaugh      P Yes
Andataco                          Gregg Neely          P Yes
Berg Electronics                  Douglas Wagner       P Yes
BREA Technologies, Inc.           Bill Galloway        P Yes
Circuit Assembly Corp.            ian morrell          P Yes
CMD Technology                    Edward Haske         P Yes
Compaq Computer Corp.             Robert Elliott       P Yes
Crossroads Systems, Inc.          Neil Wanamaker       P Yes
Dallas Semiconductor              Charles Tashbook     P Yes
Dell Computer                                            DNV
ENDL                              Ralph Weber          A YesC IV Cmnts
Fujitsu                           Eugene Lew           P Yes
General Dynamics                  Nathan Hastad        P Yes
Hewlett Packard Co.               Stewart Wyatt        P Yes
Hitachi Cable Manchester,Inc      Zane Daggett         P Yes
Hitachi Storage Products          Anthony Yang         P Yes
Honda Connectors                  Thomas J. Kulesza    P Yes
IBM Corp.                         George Penokie       P Yes
KnowledgeTek, Inc.                Dennis P. Moore      P Yes
Linfinity Micro                   Louis Grantham       P Yes
LSI Logic Corp.                   John Lohmeyer        P Yes

Madison Cable Corp.               jie fan              P Yes
Maxtor Corp.                      Pete McLean          P Yes
Molex Inc.                        Joe Dambach          A Yes
Ophidian Designs                  Edward A. Gardner    P Yes  IV
Panasonic Technologies, Inc       Han Zou              P Yes
Philips Electronics               Bill McFerrin        P Yes
QLogic Corp.                      skip jones           P Yes
Quantum Corp.                     Mark Evans           P Yes
Seagate Technology                Gene Milligan        P Yes  IV
Storage Technology Corp.          Erich Oetting        P Yes
Sun Microsystems Computer Co      Robert N. Snively    P Yes
Texas Instruments                 Paul D. Aloisi       P Yes
Toshiba America Elec. Comp.       Tasuku Kasebayashi   P Yes
Western Digital Corporation                              DNV

Key:
P       Voter indicated he/she is principal member
A       Voter indicated he/she is alternate member
O       Voter indicated he/she is observer member
?       Voter indicated he/she is not member or does not know status
YesC    Yes with comments vote
Abs     Abstain vote
DNV     Organization did not vote
IV      Individual vote (not organizational vote)
Cmnts   Comments were included with ballot
NoCmnts No comments were included with a vote that requires comments
DUP     Duplicate ballot (last ballot received from org. is counted)
PSWD    The password was not correct (vote not counted)
ORG?    Organization is not voting member of T10 (vote not counted)

Ballot totals:
 37 Yes
  0 No
  0 Abstain
  2 Organization(s) did not vote
 39 Total voting organizations
  1 Ballot(s) included comments

This 2/3rds majority ballot passed.

Comments attached to YesC ballot from Ralph Weber of
ENDL:

Reference information regarding the AT bit is inconsistent and misleading.
Clause 4.2 states: "If the device supports both address types, the address
types can be selected using the MODE SELECT command by setting the address
type (AT) bit of optical memory card device mode parameter header (see SCSI-3
SPC)."  Clause 5.1 states: "If the address type (AT) bit of mode parameter
header (see SCSI-3 SBC) is set to zero, ..."  Yet neither SPC nor SBC define
the AT bit.  The AT bit is defined in 6.3 of this standard.

It is true that the AT bit appears in the Device-Specific Parameter field of a

mode parameter header.  Because the Device-Specific Parameter field of a mode
parameter header is described in both SPC and SBC, references to those
standards may be appropriate.  However, the reference should be consistent in
both 4.2 and 5.1 and the reference must include 6.3 of this standard.  My
recommendation would be to construct the reference as follows: "(see 6.3 and
SCSI-3 SPC)".

The following sentence in 5.1 is not consistent with SCSI-3 terminology: "The
READ CARD CAPACITY data shall be sent during DATA IN phase of the command."
The wording "... DATA IN phase ..." is specific to the parallel SCSI bus and
fails to recognize implementations such as Fibre Channel.  The proper wording
would be: "The READ CARD CAPACITY data shall be returned to the application
client in the Data-In Buffer."

John Lohmeyer                  Email: lohmeyer at t10.org
Colo Spgs, CO 80907

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org