Stateless tape model

JoeBre at exabyte.com JoeBre at exabyte.com
Mon Aug 28 10:24:06 PDT 2000

* JoeBre at Exabyte.COM

------_=_NextPart_001_01C01114.C48A4CF0

 ]
> Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2000 1:51 PM
> To: t10 at t10.org

> > 3.5 - SPACE(10)...
>

> If the base model for stateless tapes is disks, then the SEEK
> is the right verb.

Well, I had the impression that we are NOT creating a random access
device. My impression was that the LBAs are being sent in the CDBs only
as a means of error detection - the target could detect that the
initiator's idea of current tape position is incorrect. As I pointed out
later in my previous email, if we do not specifically state in the Tape
Device Model that tape remains sequential (not disklike), then we are
faced with a host of new and possibly unsolvable problems.

I guess this is a just long winded way of saying that I do not believe
the base model for stateless tapes to be disks.

Joe Breher
Exabyte Corp