Question on FCP-2, Clearing Effects of SCSI Initiator Actions

robbyb at us.ibm.com robbyb at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 21 07:47:19 PDT 1999

* robbyb at us.ibm.com
*

I have a concern about one of the Clearing Effects of SCSI Initiator Actions as
posted in FCP-2, Revision 02, Table 4.   One of the effects of PRLI/PRLO  is to
restore SCSI Target mode page parameters from saved pages only for port
initiating action.  This wording is ambiguous.

What happens to Mode Pages within a LUN that are common to all ports?  Is there
no effect?  Is the effect dependent on which port has that LUN reserved?  I
recommend the following:

Mode Pages that are kept on a per port basis are restored from saved pages for
the port initiating action.  Mode Pages that are common to all ports are
restored from saved pages if the port initiating the action has that LUN
reserved.  I know this is difficult to convey in a table, but I think it is an
important point in topologies with large numbers of Initiators.

Do I have this right?

Regards,
Rob Basham

T/L 321-4923  Phone 520-799-4923