SAM-2 Revision 11

Ralph Weber ralphoweber at CompuServe.COM
Fri Sep 10 09:24:19 PDT 1999

* Ralph Weber <ralphoweber at compuserve.com>
*
George,

Your position on "a Device Server is associated with Zero
or More Logical Units" is a valid interpretation of the model
for implementation purposes.  It is not the model and it is
unnecessary for one implementation-based interpretation to
constrict the model.

I am opposed to recasting "the current Target Device as a Bridge
Device with a superclass of Target Device" and recasting "the Target
Manager [a.k.a. Task Manager]  as a Bridge Device Server associated
with the Bridge Device" for several reasons.  First, the Bridge Device
concept already has meaning as an entity in a parallel SCSI Domain
and reuse of the concept in the model would be confusing.  Second,
I don't believe the entire SCSI product engineering community is
ready to embrace the concept of a 'superclass'.  As a discussion
on this reflector earlier this year showed, use of the LLP and ULP
concepts are probably unnecessary and confusing in SAM-2.  I cannot
support adding yet more computer Ph.D. talk to SAM-2 unless there
is no other way to present the concept.

My use of TST=010b was ill considered.  TST=010b is currently reserved
and no one has actually proposed defining it as I suggested.  However,
should you wish to see a historical presentation of the definition,
download  ftp://ftp.t10.org/t10/drafts/sam/sam-r15.pdf and look in annex
B, specifically on PDF page 87.  Remember, this is an early draft of SAM
and this annex was removed before SAM was published.

Thanks.

Ralph...

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org