Results of SPI-3 Letter Ballot

John Lohmeyer lohmeyer at t10.org
Fri Oct 29 09:27:34 PDT 1999

* John Lohmeyer <lohmeyer at t10.org>
*
Voting Results on T10 Letter Ballot 99-015r0 on
Forwarding SPI-3 to first public review

Organization                      Name                 S Vote Add'l Info
--------------------------------- -------------------- - ---- ----------
Adaptec, Inc.                     lawrence lamers      P Yes
Advansys                          Robert Frey          P YesC Cmnts
AMP, Inc.                         Charles Brill        P Yes
Amphenol Interconnect             BILL MABLE           P No   Cmnts
Ancot Corp.                       Bart Raudebaugh      P Yes
Andataco                          Gregg Neely          P Yes
Apple Computer                                           DNV
Berg Electronics                  Douglas Wagner       P Yes
BREA Technologies, Inc.           Bill Galloway        P No   Cmnts
Circuit Assembly Corp.            Ian Morrell          P No   Cmnts
CMD Technology                    Edward Haske         P Yes
Compaq Computer Corp.             Bill Ham             A No   Cmnts
Crossroads Systems, Inc.          Neil T. Wanamaker    P YesC Cmnts
Dallas Semiconductor              Charles Tashbook     P Yes
Dell Computer                                            DNV
Distributed Processing Tech.      Roger Cummings       P Yes
ENDL                              I D Allan            P Yes
Fujitsu                           Eugene Lew           P Yes
General Dynamics                  Nathan Hastad        P Yes
Hewlett Packard Co.               J. R. Sims, III      P Yes
Hitachi Cable Manchester,Inc      Zane Daggett         P No   Cmnts
Hitachi Storage Products          Anthony Yang         P Yes
Honda Connectors                  Thomas J. Kulesza    P Yes
IBM Corp.                         George Penokie       P Yes
Iomega Corp.                      Tim Bradshaw         P Yes
KnowledgeTek, Inc.                Dennis P. Moore      P Yes
Linfinity Micro                   Louis Grantham       P Yes
LSI Logic Corp.                   John Lohmeyer        P Yes
Madison Cable Corp.               Jie Fan              P No   Cmnts
Maxtor Corp.                      Pete McLean          P Yes
Molex Inc.                        Joe Dambach          P Yes
Mylex Corp.                                              DNV
Ophidian Designs                  Edward A. Gardner    P Abs  IV Cmnts
Panasonic Technologies, Inc       Han Zou              P Yes
Philips Electronics               Bill McFerrin        P Yes
QLogic Corp.                      Skip Jones           P Yes
Quantum Corp.                     Mark Evans           P YesC Cmnts
Seagate Technology                Gene E. Milligan     P No   IV Cmnts
Storage Technology Corp.          Erich Oetting        P Yes
Sun Microsystems Computer Co      Robert Snively       P Yes
Texas Instruments                 Robert Morris        P Yes
Toshiba America Elec. Comp.       Tasuku Kasebayashi   P Yes
UNISYS Corporation                Ken Hallam           P Yes
Unitrode Corporation              Paul D. Aloisi       P YesC Cmnts
Western Digital Corporation       Jeffrey L. Williams  P Yes

Key:
P       Voter indicated he/she is principal member
A       Voter indicated he/she is alternate member
O       Voter indicated he/she is observer member
?       Voter indicated he/she is not member or does not know status
YesC    Yes with comments vote
Abs     Abstain vote
DNV     Organization did not vote
IV      Individual vote (not organizational vote)
Cmnts   Comments were included with ballot
NoCmnts No comments were included with a vote that requires comments
DUP     Duplicate ballot (last ballot received from org. is counted)
PSWD    The password was not correct (vote not counted)
ORG?    Organization is not voting member of T10 (vote not counted)

Ballot totals:
 34 Yes
  7 No
  1 Abstain
  3 Organization(s) did not vote
 45 Total voting organizations
 12 Ballot(s) included comments

This 2/3rds majority ballot passed.

Comments attached to YesC ballot from Robert Frey of
Advansys:

Comment #1: Recommend additional information units phase sequence figure

  The following phase diagrams are included in the current revision:
  13.1 Phase sequences for physical reconnection and selection using
       attention condition with information unit transfers disabled
  13.2 Phase sequences for selection without using attention condition
       with information unit transfers disabled
  13.3 Phase sequences for selection without using attention condition/
       physical reconnection with information unit transfers disabled

  I recommend another phase sequence figure:

  13.4 Phase sequences for selection using attention condition with
       information unit transfers enabled

  Without a 13.4 phase sequence figure the text of section 10.3.1.1.2 is
  not represented in SPI-3 Section 13. There is value to having Section
  13 include all prescribed/legal sequences, which is what I think it
  is attempting to do.

  Text from 10.3.1.1.2:
    10.3.1 Selection
    10.3.1.1 Selection using attention condition
    10.3.1.1.2 Information unit transfers enabled
      If information unit transfers are enabled for the connecting initiator
      the target shall proceed to MESSAGE OUT phase.

Comment #2: Data group transfer wide residual reporting and restriction

  Proposal A:
    Add text to 4.8.2.1 that for DT DATA IN phase will state the correct
    procedure for reporting wide residual and for DT DATA OUT phase require
    intermediate data fields to be an even number of bytes.

    Proposed wide residual reporting clarification text and restriction to be
    added to 4.8.2.1 Data group transfers:

      During DT DATA IN phase if the number of bytes in a data field is not
      a multiple of two bytes, then after sending the pad and pCRC fields the
      target device shall change to MESSAGE IN phase and send an IGNORE WIDE
      RESIDUE 16.2.3 message with the NUMBER OF BYTES TO IGNORE field set to
      01h.

      During DT DATA OUT phase if a target requests a pCRC field prior to
      the last data field of a command, the initiator shall transmit an even
      number of bytes in that data field.

    The first paragraph will lower the probability of incorrect initiator
    and target implementations.

    The second paragraph is needed because there is no mechanism defined for
    an initiator to indicate an intermediate wide residual to a target. A
    target is only able to infer a wide residual at the very end of a wide
    transfer transfer by recalling whether the command transfer length.

  Proposal B:
    Add a requirement that all intermediate data fields (pCRC interval)
    be a multiple of two bytes. This would be consistent with IU transfers
    (4.8.2.2) which require the iuCRC interval to be an even number of bytes.

Comment #3: Typo

  4.7, paragraph two, 2nd sentence "2X depending on the whether" should
  be "2X depending on whether".

Comments attached to No ballot from BILL MABLE of
Amphenol Interconnect:

John,

I was unable to get onto the reflector but the reason we are voting no
pertains to the comments submitted by Bill Ham pertaining to the techinical
changes. I will try and get you the file name for the comments that were
submitted by Bill Ham.

Regards,

Bill

   Chair's Note: The referenced document is T10/99-317r0, Comments
                 against SPI-3 rev 10 section 6 and annex E

Comments attached to No ballot from Bill Galloway of
BREA Technologies, Inc.:

Comments sent seperate

   Chair's Note: Bill Galloway's comments are contained in T10/99-320r0

Comments attached to No ballot from Ian Morrell of
Circuit Assembly Corp.:

I incorporate by reference the "comments against SPI 3 rev 10, Section 6 and

Annex E.zip."

   Chair's Note: The referenced document is T10/99-317r0

Comments attached to No ballot from Bill Ham of
Compaq Computer Corp.:

Comments are contained in the following two documents:

The first document is titled:

Comments against SPI3 rev 10 section 6 and annex E.doc

which has been mailed to you and posted on the web site as document number
99-317r0.

The second document is titled:

CPQ 1xx SPI-3 letter ballot comments.doc.

which has been emailed to you today.

   Chair's Note: This document was numbered T10/99-321r0.

The technical comments in the first document and the first three comments in
the second document need to be accepted in order to change the vote to "yes".

The numbering of the comments has a gap between 64 which is the last of the
first document and 100 which is the first of the second document.

I hope that providing two documents is not a great inconvenience.

Cheers, Bill

Comments attached to YesC ballot from Neil T. Wanamaker of
Crossroads Systems, Inc.:

(T) 10.5.2.2.1.1., 10.5.2.2.1.2. Mandating a check condition in these cases
seems a retrograde step.

Comments attached to No ballot from Zane Daggett of
Hitachi Cable Manchester,Inc:

61 comments have been submitted in a document uploaded to the ftp site
entitled "comments against SPI-3 rev 10 section 6 and annex E.zip".  This
document should serve as my reasoning for voting no on this ballot.

If this method is not acceptable please contact me at 603-661-3972.  I did
not paste these comments here because they include many graphics.

ZD

   Chair's Note:  The referenced document is T10/99-317r0.

Comments attached to No ballot from Jie Fan of
Madison Cable Corp.:

The current cable performance requirements and it's related Annex should be
replaced with a newer version of 99-111r7 (for cable requirements) and 98-
219r6 (for Annex)-- Jie Fan

Comments attached to Abs ballot from Edward A. Gardner of
Ophidian Designs:

My reasons for abstaining are that I don't feel technically
qualified to competently evaluate SPI-3.

Comments attached to YesC ballot from Mark Evans of
Quantum Corp.:

Quantum's comments for the letter ballot to forward SPI-3, rev 10

Quantum # 1. Global
The terms "clause" and "subclause" are used in many places to reference
clauses or subclauses elsewhere in the standard.  However, these terms are not

used consistently.  Sometimes just the clause or subclause number to be
referenced is used.  Sometimes "clause" is used where a subclause is
referenced.  I think that the terms should be deleted, leaving only the number

for reference (e.g., "See x.y for...")

Quantum # 2. Global
The terms "annex X" and "Annex X" are used inconsistently throughout the
standard.  I think "Annex X" is correct, but, one way or the other, they
should, at least, be consistent.

Quantum # 3. Global
The terms "cross talk", "cross-talk", and "crosstalk" are used inconsistently
throughout the standard.  My dictionary says it should be "crosstalk", Word's
spellchecker likes" cross talk" and "cross-talk", but, one way or the other,
they should, at least, be consistent.

Quantum # 4. Global
The term "REQ(ACK)" - and sometimes "REQ (ACK)" - are used in many places
where I think the meaning is "REQ or ACK" or "REQ and ACK".  I think the
single term should be replaced by the correct three-word phrase or defined in
3.1.  If defined in 3.1, it would seem to me that then any "REQ or ACK" or
"REQ and ACK" in the document should be replaced by "REQ(ACK)".

Quantum # 5. Global

There are many instances where text in a list should be indented.  These
include:  page 1 (PDF page 23), 1 Scope, the list after paragraph 1; page 15
(PDF page 37), 4.3 Physical topologies...; page 21 (PDF page 43), 4.9
Protocol, the list at the bottom of the page; page 23 (PDF page 45), 5.1 SCSI
parallel..., the list near the bottom of the clause; page 46 (PDF page 68),
two places; etc.

Quantum # 6. Global
The symbols "+" and "-" are used in several places and should be replaced by
the words "plus" and "minus" because these symbols are defined as "add" and
subtract" in subclause 3.2 Symbols and abbreviations.  I think it also might
work to put quotation marks around the symbols in this instance, but that
would probably also require additional entries in 3.2 - which is also okay by
me.  (For examples see page 17 (PDF page 39), 4.4 Bus loading, paragraph 1,
and page 52 (PDF page 74), 6.7.1 LVD stub length and spacing).

Quantum # 7. Global
The term DATA BUS is used in many places in the document with inconsistent
meaning.  The definition in 3.2 says "data bus [no caps]..." is an "...8-bit
or 16-bit bus."  However, on page 79 (PDF page 101), in 8.2 Signal
descriptions, I/O:, for example, we find "DATA BUS [the capitalization of this

term in the document is inconsistent, as well]".  In this particular
description I think we mean "...the data bus [as defined in 3.2], P_CRCA, and
P1 (if present for a 16-bit DATA BUS)..." or "...DB(7-0, P_CRCA) or DB(7-0,
P_CRCA, P1)..."  On page 87 (PDF page 109), in 9.2.13 Data release delay, I
think the same thing is true.  I'm not sure exactly how this should be
rectified, but a search needs to be performed on all forms of "data bus" and a

correct definition included for each case.

Quantum # 8. Global
On page 86 (PDF page 108) 9.2.1 Arbitration delay, the phrase "arbitration has

been won" is used.  I can't find where in the draft standard that "winning
arbitration" or "losing arbitration" are defined.  I think the readers should
know what these means, but I also think that these concepts are such critical
elements of parallel SCSI that the conditions should be specifically defined
in this document.

Quantum # 9. Global
The names of the timing values listed in tables 30, 31, and 32 are used
inconsistently throughout the standard.  Sometimes the first letter of each
word is capitalized and sometimes not.  Since these are specific, defined
things, I recommend that the first letter of each word be capitalized (e.g.,
Bus Settle Delay) wherever used.  I think this would be more clear.

Quantum # 10. Global
On page 103 (PDF page 125), 10.3.1.2 Selection without using attention
condition, paragraphs 2 and 3, are the words "...an
initiator...waits...before...looking..."  I think this would be better stated
as something like, "...waits before enabling detection..."  I think a global
search should be performed on "looking" and, where used as above, it should be

changed.

Quantum # 11. Global
On page 103 (PDF page 125), 10.3.1.2 Selection without using attention
condition In this paragraph 4, are the words "a target...shall determine that
it is selected..."  I think this should be something like, "A target shall be
selected when..."  I think a global search should be performed on "determine"
and, where used as above, it should be changed.

Quantum # 12. Global
The phrases "bad parity" and "parity error" are used in many places in the
document.  I searched on "parity" and found no specific definition for these
conditions in the document.  Though the definition of these phrases should be
intuitive, I think that this is such a critical element of parallel SCSI that
the condition should be specifically defined in the document.

Quantum # 13. page 1 (PDF page 23), 1 Scope, paragraph 1:
There should be a colon after the "are" at the end of the first paragraph.

Quantum # 14. page 3 (PDF page 25), 2.1 Normative references, paragraph 1:
In the first sentence "...though reference in the text..." should be changed

to "...though referenced in the text..."

Quantum # 15. page 4 (PDF page 26), 2.3 References under development, Note 1:
Does Global Engineering have copies of draft standards?  I would have thought
that folks would be referred to the T10 web site for these.

Quantum # 16. page 8 (PDF page 30), 3.1.68 physical reconnect:
In the second sentence, "A target does a physical reconnect..." should be
replaced with something like, "A target initiates a physical reconnect..."

Quantum # 17. page 8 (PDF page 30), 3.1.79, SCSI device:
"...connect the drivers..." should be replaced with, "...connect its
drivers..."

Quantum # 18. page 9 (PDF page 31), 3.2 Symbols and abbreviations,
For QAS I think, "Quick Arbitrate and Selection" should be either, "Quick
Arbitrate and Select" or, "Quick Arbitration and Selection".

Quantum # 19. page 10 (PDF page 32), 3.3.2 invalid:
I know it's this way in other standards, but I would change the last words
from, "...as error." to, "as an error."  (see also page 11 (PDF page 33),
3.3.8 reserved.)

Quantum # 20. page 10 (PDF page 32), 3.3.5 may not:
"A keyword..." should be changed to "Keywords..." or "A key phrase".

Quantum # 21. pages 17 and 18 (PDF pages 39 and 40), 4.7 Data transfers,
paragraph 2:
The following sentence is cumbersome, "As a result the REQ(ACK) signals rising

edge to rising edge time varies by 2X depending on the whether ST or DT
transfers are enabled, however the data's transfer rate remains the same."  I
think this should be changed to something like, "As a result, the time from
rising edge to rising edge for REQ and ACK signals for the same transfer rate
is twice as long for a DT transfer as it is for an ST transfer."

Quantum # 22. page 19 (PDF page 41), 4.8 Data transfer modes, paragraph 2:
The second sentence is in error, "The 8-bit information transfer mode is used
for all information transfers except DATA phases."  I know this was an
oversight on the editor's part, but additional information is transferred on
the upper eight bits if AIP is in effect.  The sentence could be changed to,
"The 8-bit information transfer mode is used for all information transfers
except DATA phases (except when an alternate error detection scheme for
asynchronous information phases is in effect - see Annex M)."

Quantum # 23. page 42 (PDF page 64), 5.4.1 SE assignments, Table 5 - SE
contact assignments - nonshielded alternative 4 connector, Note 3:
This note says, "The pins identified as being short and long only applies to
the host connector and not the connector on the SCSI device.  All pins on the
SCSI device connector are the same length."  I think the concept of "host" and

"device" used here are a carry overs from previous standards.  In figure 15 in

this standard (PDF page 29) the terms "device side" and "cable/backplane side"

are used.  I think these terms are more accurate and the note should use them,

as well.  (see also page 45 (PDF page 67), 5.4.2 Differential assignments,
Table 8 - LVD/MSE contact assignments - nonshielded alternative 4 connector,
Note 2:)

Quantum # 24. page 46 (PDF page 68), 6.1 SCSI bus interconnect overview,
paragraph 3:
"The function of the interconnect is to:" should be changed to, "The functions

of the interconnects are to:"

Quantum # 25. page 50 (PDF page 72), 6.1.3.10 Crosstalk, paragraph 2:
The terms "DATA" and "PARITY" are introduced in this paragraph with no
previous explanation.  The previous instance of "DATA" used by itself in this
standard referred to a phase.  I think most of us understand what is meant
here, but that it would be more consistent (and correct) to say something
like, "...DB(7-0, P_CRCA) or DB(7-0, P_CRCA, P1), and REQ or ACK pairs."

Quantum # 26. page 59 (PDF page 81), Table 19 - SE input voltage
characteristics:
"VIL", VIH", "IIL", and "IIH" need to have their second two letters be
subscripts in three places in this table.

Quantum # 27. beginning on page 64 (PDF page 86), 7.3.2 LVD driver
characteristics and on several pages following:

I think the terms "+signal" and "-signal", and "+Signal" and "-Signal"
should
be replaced with the terms "+SIGNAL" and "-SIGNAL" to be consistent.  (See
also page 80 (PDF page 102), 7.3.2 LVD signals, several places: The document
should be searched for other occurrences of this.)

Quantum # 28. beginning on page 64 (PDF page 86), 7.3.2 LVD driver
characteristics and on several pages following:
The terms "source x" are used in several places in these clauses.  This might
be clearer if they were capitalized to be "SOURCE x".

Quantum # 29. page 68 (PDF page 90), 7.3.4.1 Management of LVD release
glitches, paragraph 1:
The term "bus settle delay" (that I think should be "Bus Settle Delay") is
used for the first time in the document without definition or reference.  I
would add "(see 9)" after the first time the term is used.  Since this is also

true for "system deskew delay" (that I think should be "System Deskew Delay")
on page 69 (PDF page 91), Table 24 - Glitch management requirements and other
timings, I would recommend that some words be added early in clause 7 that say

something like, "For specific timing definitions see 9."

Quantum # 30. page 69 (PDF page 91), Table 24 - Glitch management
requirements..., Note:
The phrase, "BUS FREE phase starts a Bus Settle Delay after..." should be
changed to "A BUS FREE phase starts one Bus Settle Delay after..."

Quantum # 31. page 75 (PDF page 97), 7.4.2 LVD/MSE multimode transceiver...,
paragraph 4:
The phrase, "A LVD/MSE multimode SCSI device..." should be replaced by, "An
LVD/MSE multimode SCSI device..."  Strangely enough, I searched the whole
document, and this is the only occurrence of this.

Quantum # 32. page 76 (PDF page 98), 7.4.3 Transceiver ground drivers,
paragraph 1:
The phrase, "...a MSE driver..." should be replaced by, "An MSE driver..."
Once again I searched the whole document, and this is the only occurrence of
this.

Quantum # 33. page 78 (PDF page 100), 8.2 Signal descriptions, C/D:
I don't think the second "CONTROL" should be all caps.

Quantum # 34. page 79 (PDF page 101), 8.2 Signal descriptions, P_CRCA (data
group transfer enabled):
The term "ULP" is used for the first time here without definition.  There are
several ways to resolve this, but I think the best would be to add, "(ULP)"
after, "upper level protocol" in 3.1.98.

Quantum # 35. page 98 (PDF page 120), 10 SCSI bus phases, paragraph 1:
It says here, "There are eight distinct phases..."  (and then the distinct
phases are listed).  However, later in this clause we find the "NORMAL
ARBITRATION phase", "QAS phase", "DT DATA IN phase", "DT DATA OUT phase", "ST
DATA IN phase", and "DT DATA OUT" phase.  Are these indistinct phases?
Somehow I think this needs to be resolved and reconciled in throughout
document.

Quantum # 36. beginning at page 98 (PDF page 120):
There are many places where the phrase, "...a [xxx time]..." where [xxx time]
is Bus Clear Delay, Bus Settle Delay, etc.  I think these should be changed to

"…one [xxx time]…" to be more precise.

Quantum # 37. page 98 (PDF page 120), 10.1.1 Unexpected and expected bus free:
I think it is confusing to mix these conditions in a single subclause.  It
would be easier for me to read and understand if all of the text related to an

expected bus free condition was in 10.1.1 and the text about unexpected bus
free was in a new subclause, 10.1.2.  This would also, then, make two
subclauses instead of one nested under 10.1 which is a more common style.

Quantum # 38. page 99 (PDF page 121), 10.2 Arbitration, paragraph 2:
There is a semicolon in the first sentence that I think should be a colon.

Quantum # 39. page 99 (PDF page 121), 10.2.1 NORMAL ARBITRATION phase, first
list:
Item (c) says, "...the SCSI device shall not arbitrate (i.e. assert the BSY
signal and its SCSI ID) if more than a bus set delay has passed since the BUS
FREE phase was last observed."  However, Note 23 immediately following says,

"There is no maximum delay before asserting the BSY signal and the SCSI ID
following the bus free delay in step (b)."  I may be missing something, but
this looks like a contradiction to me.

Quantum # 40. page 108 (PDF page 130), 10.5.2.2.1 Information unit transfer,
first item in the third numbered list on the page:
I think that, "Shall after detecting a REQ transition;" should be changed to,
"Shall wait until detecting a REQ transition;"  (See also the first item in
the third numbered list on page 110 (PDF page 132)).

Quantum # 41. page 111 (PDF page 131), 10.5.2.2.2.2 Data Group Pad field and
pCRC field transfer to target:
The first sentence of the first paragraph is not a complete sentence (i.e.,
"If the I/O signal is false (transfer to the target) and the initiator
determines the data field transfer is complete by detecting an assertion of
the P_CRCA signal.")  I think the "and" in the sentence should be removed.

Quantum # 42. page 143 (PDF page 165), 16.1.2.2 Two-byte messages:
The first sentence of this says, "Two-byte messages consist of two consecutive

bytes transferred during two consecutive MESSAGE IN phases or two consecutive
MESSAGE OUT phases." but 16.1.1 says, "...a message shall not be split between

multiple MESSAGE phases."  I think the sentence in 16.1.2.2 should be changed
to, "Two-byte messages consist of two consecutive bytes transferred during a
MESSAGE IN phase or a MESSAGE OUT phase."  (See also the first sentence in
16.1.2.3 Extended messages.)

Quantum # 43. Annex E:
All of the figures in this Annex (except E.6) are at least somewhat blurry
(they look even worse in my printed version of the PDF).  Is there anything
that can be done about this?

Quantum # 44. Annex M, M.1, paragraphs 1 and 2:
Paragraphs 1 and 2 are identical.  Even though I like to see my words in
print, one of these paragraphs should be deleted.

Comments attached to No ballot from Gene E. Milligan of
Seagate Technology:

As you probably can see from the introduction below I am prepared to change my

vote to Yes when T10 has approved the resolution of comments. This however is
not a conditional vote that I think is prohibited.

Chair's Note:  Gene Milligan's comments are contained in T10/99-322r0

Comments attached to YesC ballot from Paul D. Aloisi of
Unitrode Corporation:

The cable information in section 6 needs to be updated to 99-111r7 and the
annex e to the latest version of 98-219

John Lohmeyer                  Email: lohmeyer at t10.org
Colo Spgs, CO 80907

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org