Target ID

Matthew Jacob mjacob at feral.com
Thu Oct 28 12:23:08 PDT 1999

* Matthew Jacob <mjacob at feral.com>
*

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Ericson, George wrote:

> * "Ericson, George" <gericson at clariion.com>
> *
> Request for Comments:
>  The Target Identifier specified in SAM is an Upper Level Protocol
> entity.  There does not seem to be a well defined means to return the
> Target Identifier?  There is a point of view that Target Identifier is
> a different entity from the Port ID.  Especially for Multi-Port
> Targets.  Is there concensus on that point?
>  Is there a consensus view on the persistance of this Target ID in the
>
> face of Hot-Swap issues on both the HBA and Device level?  For
> instance, if a controller card within a Target Device is hot-swapped,
> and that card happens to have a SCSI Port (regardless of Lower Level
> Protocol: SPI or FC or ...).  Does the Target Device ID stay the same
> or change?

I don't know what others are planning, but the "Target Device ID" is being
treated by me in Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD and for some Solaris
work as purely an artifact of legacy ULP software layers. As such, it's a
fixed entity. If the actual AL_PA or Port changes, the HBA driver will
remap as appropriate.

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org