SAM-2 wording on Unit Attention Condition

Gerry_Houlder at notes.seagate.com Gerry_Houlder at notes.seagate.com
Tue May 25 13:40:24 PDT 1999

* Gerry_Houlder at notes.seagate.com
*
(a) In SAM-2 section 5.6.5 (Unit Attention condition) the second to last
paragraph reads:

"If an initiator issues a command other than INQUIRY or REQUEST SENSE while
a unit attention condition exists for that initiator (prior to generating
the auto contingent allegiance or contingent allegiance condition for the
unit attention condition), the logical unit shall not perform the command
and shall report ACA ACTIVE (NACA=1, see 5.1.2) or BUSY (NACA=0) status."

This paragraph is describing the response for "after generating the ACA or
contingent allegiance for the unit attention" but the description uses the
word "prior". I think this is an editorial mis-step. I think the word
"prior" must be changed to "after".

I also think the words "..while a unit attention condition exists for that
initiator (prior .." should be changed to ".. while a unit attention
condition exists for ANY initiator (prior ..".

(b) It also seems that wording describing response if using ACA TAG
attribute (if NACA=1) is not present or referenced to another place.
Shouldn't either a description or a reference be added here?

(c) I have also noted that SAM-2 doesn't have a paragraph that corresponds
to this paragraph from SCSI-2:

"If an initiator issues a command other than INQUIRY or REQUEST SENSE while
a unit attention condition exists for that initiator (prior to generating
the contingent allegiance condition for the unit attention condition), the
target shall not perform the command and shall report CHECK CONDITION
status unless a higher priority status as defined by the target is also
pending (e.g. BUSY or RESERVATION CONFLICT)."

This information has been dropped out of SAM and it is not clear that this
information is clearly stated in other paragraphs of this section. I would
like to see this information added back into SAM-2.

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com