SPI-3: "Valid" pad bytes?

gop at us.ibm.com gop at us.ibm.com
Thu May 20 14:09:54 PDT 1999

* gop at us.ibm.com
*
Jeff,
There was a reason behind the VBYTE but that bit is now gone (look at rev 6 of
SPI-3). If you really want to know send me a note and I will explain it to you.

Bye for now,
George Penokie

Dept PPV  114-2 N212
E-Mail:    gop at us.ibm.com
Internal:  553-5208
External: 507-253-5208   FAX: 507-253-2880

Jeff Schroeder <jeffrey.schroeder at st.com> on 05/20/99 02:46:12 PM

cc:    (bcc: George Penokie/Rochester/IBM)
Subject:  SPI-3: "Valid" pad bytes?

* Jeff Schroeder <jeffrey.schroeder at st.com>
*
I'm just coming up to speed on SPI-2 to SPI-3 changes, so I'm going to
have a few questions on the SPI-3 draft standard. So, to start...

The SPI L_Q information unit has a VBYTE field that, when set, specifies
that the pad bytes of the following information unit contain valid
information. I'm confused by this. Why would a pad byte contain valid
information? I would think it isn't a pad byte if it contains valid
information.

Could somebody explain the concept behind this? Does it really just mean
that the pad bytes may be non-zero?

Thanks,
Jeff
--