Status of ATAPI as a SCSI transport?

keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp
Sun Jun 20 22:21:55 PDT 1999

* keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp
*

Hello all,

I'm keiji katata of PIONEER.

I'm looking for what is "ATAPI Transport Version (3)" in Inquiry data of
SFF-8090(expired) and INF-8090i Rev.3.6. The same field of the SFF-8020i
Rev.2.6 is named "ATAPI Version (=2)". According to INF-8090i, this field
is defined in "X3T13/1153D", but nothing is written in it.
Currently, this field is used in SPC/SAM for very important information bit
set. If someone knows the history of "ATAPI Transport Version (3)", please
let me know.

I think "IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE command (A1h)" of ATA has enough functions
to explain the device's ATA/ATAPI transport ability including ATA/ATAPI
version. In logical specification, "GET CONFIGURATION Command" can show all
of the device's features. So this field should be deleted and make it same
as SPC-2 of "AERC, Obsolete, NORMACA, HISUP" (may be all bits are set to
0).

Anyway, please let me know the history.

Thank you.

TO:   Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
cc:   Joerg Schilling <schilling at fokus.gmd.de>, hlandis at ibm.net,
      T10 at Symbios.COM, t13 at t13.org (bcc: Keiji Katata/Pioneer)
Subject:  Re: Status of ATAPI as a SCSI transport?

* Jim_Hatfield at tecmar.com
*
To this question:
<<Why then does the ATAPI inquiry retun data violate the SCSI standard?>>

Gene Milligan writes:
> [...]

Even though SCSI-1 may not be a 'standard', there are still SCSI-1 drivers
and
applications in the field, and sometimes new devices are needed/expected to
perform in these
legacy environments as replacements, when (for whatever reason) the
software or
associated system cannot be replaced or upgraded.

- Jim Hatfield
   Tecmar Technologies, Inc.

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com