Name that multi-port SCSI device

Binford, Charles cbinford at lsil.com
Fri Jun 11 13:58:08 PDT 1999

* "Binford, Charles" <charles.binford at lsil.com>
*
Gene,  you say "dual port drives shipped to date have a SCSI device for each
port."  What is difference between the words 'Device' and 'Target'?   How
significant of a difference is there between the phrases
- "a SCSI device for each port"  and
- "a SCSI target for each port"

To come at this from another direction consider the reset implications.
I've always assumed the SCSI-2 term 'Bus Device Reset' mapped directly to
the SCSI-3 term 'Target Reset'.

What happens if I issue a Target Reset to your drive via the loop A port?

A) all I/Os get canceled (regardless of which port they were delivered on)
B) only I/Os delivered via loop A port get canceled

I would say the correct answer is A) for Target Reset.  Yet if I asked the
same question about 'Bus Device Reset' I get confused.  Using your phrase "a
SCSI device for each port" would mean answer B).  However my equating BDR
and Target Reset would say the answer should continue to be A).

Charles Binford
LSI Logic Storage Systems
(316) 636-8566

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com