SAM-2: Clarification of Protocol Services

George Ericson gericson at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 7 21:09:03 PDT 1999

* "George Ericson" <gericson at mindspring.com>
*
Ralph,

Notions of ULP and LLP are very useful.  Don't delete them.  SPI and
FC4-SCSI down are implementations of LLP's.  The same SCSI ULP runs over
either.  The SCSI ULP API is defined by SCSI SPC and various other varients
for specific sets of peripheral device types.  This is generically defined
by SAM-2 r10 in Chaper 5 as the Execute command.  SAM-2 defines the APIs for
the LLP in Section 5.3.  I do agree with other comments on this subject that
the write-up could be clearer with respect to exactly which objects support
each of the methods defined.

George Ericson
CLARiiON Advanced Storage Division
Data General