99-179r1 -- commands that must be serviced in foreground mode

Gerry_Houlder at notes.seagate.com Gerry_Houlder at notes.seagate.com
Fri Jun 4 10:43:00 PDT 1999

* Gerry_Houlder at notes.seagate.com
*
I would like to see the commands that must be serviced in foreground mode
limited to operations that do not require a disk access or have other
demands on spindle and/or actuator. This existing list nearly meets this
goal, but not quite.

All flavors of START/STOP UNIT should be rejected. This would simplify the
command parsing rules and eliminate the possibility of having to change the
spindle state or power mode in the middle of a self-test.

LOG SENSE should be rejected. In general, a disk access to a reserved disk
area is required in order to return LOG data. I would prefer not having to
interrupt the DST algorithm with other things that want disk acess.

Some options of INQUIRY command may require disk access. Standard Inquiry
data is OK but some types of VPD data and some implementations of Command
Data may require disk access. Can we agree that any VPD data or Cmddt
operations that require disk access may be rejected by the target?

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com