99-179r1 -- creating deferred error

Gerry_Houlder at notes.seagate.com Gerry_Houlder at notes.seagate.com
Thu Jun 3 12:18:51 PDT 1999

* Gerry_Houlder at notes.seagate.com
*
I do not support the requirement to create a deferred error in the event of
a DST failure. The document creates a polling mechanism for progress
reporting and another mechanism for returning the final results. This
should be enough.

I have never heard a customer tell me they like to deal with deferred
errors. They usually tell me that the deferred error reporting mechanism is
painful and they would rather not have deferred errors reported by the
drive.

The text that "requires" the drive to post a deferred error should be
changed back to the way it was in rev. 0, namely that the drive is
"prohibited" from posting a deferred error to report a DST failure. Second
best is adding a mechanism for the initiator to explicitly allow or
prohibit the posting of a deferred error.

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com