Packetized issues in SPI-3 r6

gop at us.ibm.com gop at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 2 11:54:59 PDT 1999

* gop at us.ibm.com
*

>* From the T10 Reflector (t10 at symbios.com), posted by:
>* Richard Moore <r_moore at qlc.com>
>*
>I just noticed a few things pertaining to packetized SCSI in rev 6 that I
>don't think are quite right (I hope these can be
>treated as editorial in nature)

>1. Section 11.4.1.1 lists four places where logical disconnects shall occur,
>and two places where logical disconnects
>shall not occur. The completion of a SPI L_Q information unit is in the
>second list. What about the case where the
>SPI L_Q type field is status, and the data length field is zero? According
>to Table 40, "no SPI status information unit
>shall follow the SPI L_Q information unit" in this case. I think that means
>a logical disconnect is required at the end
>of this L_Q packet.

This is editorial: You are correct a logical disconnect occurs after a L_Q if
the type is status and the data length = 0.

>2. I think the same case needs to be added to 11.1.1.1, the second list
>describing when initiators may expect bus
>free.

This is editorial: You are correct a logical disconnect occurs after a L_Q if
the type is status and the data length = 0.

>3. The 32-bit IUCRC INTERVAL field in the L_Q packet definition allows for
>an interval of 4 GB, but the 24-bit DATA
>LENGTH field only allows information units to be 16 MB in length. Shouldn't
>the IUCRC INTERVAL field be shortened
>to 24 bits (by making byte 16 reserved)?

This is not editorial: At the editing meeting this was pointed out and the group
will be recommending to the working group that the data length be changed from 3
bytes to 4 bytes.

> -- Richard Moore
>    QLogic Corp.

>*