Packetized issues in SPI-3 r6

Richard Moore r_moore at qlc.com
Wed Jun 2 09:46:58 PDT 1999

* Richard Moore <r_moore at qlc.com>
*
I just noticed a few things pertaining to packetized SCSI in rev 6 that I
don't think are quite right (I hope these can be
treated as editorial in nature):

1. Section 11.4.1.1 lists four places where logical disconnects shall occur,
and two places where logical disconnects
shall not occur. The completion of a SPI L_Q information unit is in the
second list. What about the case where the
SPI L_Q type field is status, and the data length field is zero? According
to Table 40, "no SPI status information unit
shall follow the SPI L_Q information unit" in this case. I think that means
a logical disconnect is required at the end
of this L_Q packet.

2. I think the same case needs to be added to 11.1.1.1, the second list
describing when initiators may expect bus
free.

3. The 32-bit IUCRC INTERVAL field in the L_Q packet definition allows for
an interval of 4 GB, but the 24-bit DATA
LENGTH field only allows information units to be 16 MB in length. Shouldn't
the IUCRC INTERVAL field be shortened
to 24 bits (by making byte 16 reserved)?

 -- Richard Moore
    QLogic Corp.

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com