SMC Question: Ejecting a Magazine

Paul_A_Suhler at notes.seagate.com Paul_A_Suhler at notes.seagate.com
Wed Jan 13 12:47:26 PST 1999

* Paul_A_Suhler at notes.seagate.com
*

From: Paul A Suhler at SEAGATE on 01/13/99 12:47 PM

To:   T10 at symbios.com
cc:
Subject:  SMC Question: Ejecting a Magazine

In a number of tape drives with autoloaders, all of the storage elements
reside in an ejectable magazine.  There appears to be no way within the
spec to eject a magazine, since there's no way to name an object that's a
collection of storage elements.  I can imagine various hacks to do the
eject:

 - Load/Unload to Changer's LUN.  Objection:  This isn't an SMC command.
If it were, addressing the magazine would have to be implicit, making its
use in a tape library unclear.  It would be ambiguous in an attached medium
changer (LUN 0).

 - Move Medium from DTE or SE to I/E Element.  Objection:  This command
properly specifies moving one volume, not a collection of volumes.

Neither of these is very satisfactory.  Can anyone suggest a reasonable, or
at least widely accepted, mechanism?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul A. Suhler, Ph.D.
Staff Development Engineer
Seagate Removable Storage Solutions
Voice:  (714) 641-2485   Fax:  (714) 966-7311

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com