Packetized L_Q IU type field changes

Bill Galloway BillG at breatech.com
Tue Dec 14 14:05:12 PST 1999

* "Bill Galloway" <BillG at breatech.com>
*
George,

1) sounds fine.

2) I do not want to make it complicated but... If the target just goes bus free
the initiator may think that the target did the requested action. I think that
returning a status LQ is best. I do not see why the target has to take ANY data
with the bogus LQ.

While we are talking about the TYPE field.... You said in Rochester that you
believed that a target is required to honor the "Multiple Command" type.  I do
not see any words that require this. The way I read the current version of the
SPI, this type is an advisory to the target that the initiator has more
commands but the target can ignore this advisory. I cannot find any words
prohibiting the target from breaking a command stream with a QUE FULL or going
bus free after a command just because it feels like it.

Now that I have kicked the hornets nest let me say that I see nothing wrong
with it being only an advisory to the target.

Bill Galloway
BREA Technologies, Inc.
P: (281) 530-3063
F: (281) 988-0358