Attention Tape Vendors: Intepretation of Information Field Value after Space Command early termination

ddavies at overlanddata.com ddavies at overlanddata.com
Mon Apr 19 15:47:59 PDT 1999

* ddavies at overlanddata.com
*

Our interpretation/implementation of the information field after early
termination of a space command is to report the total number of blocks, etc.,
not spaced over (a positive number).

I remember discussions on this topic way back during the development of the
SCSI-2 standard, attempting to clarify the wording to ensure that two's
complement notation would not be used.  The only condition that 'clearly' spells
this out in SCSI-2 is when BOP is encountered in a reverse direction
(X3.131-1994, page 241, paragraph 4, last sentence).

I agree that the SSC statement prohibiting two's complement notation in the
information field for SPACE should be moved to the end of the first paragraph to
eliminate any implication about only applying to the filemark case.

Dan Davies
Overland Data

"Zeitler, Carl" <Carl.Zeitler at compaq.com> on 04/19/99 06:58:22 AM

Please respond to "Zeitler, Carl" <Carl.Zeitler at compaq.com>