Nikkei_Conference

Dal Allan endlcom at ibm.net
Thu Apr 1 20:37:36 PST 1999

* "Dal Allan" <endlcom at ibm.net>
*
                     NIKKEI FALL CONFERENCE

Many of you are aware of the conference which ENDL co-sponsors with Nikkei
Electronics (Nikkei is #1 in Japanese publications) in September, and I am
pleased to announce that the next one will be held at Nikkei Hall on
Tuesday-Wednesday September 21-22.

Speakers can anticipate a large attentive audience (simultaneous translation
eliminates the language barrier). Nikkei Hall occupies the 7th and 8th
floors of the Nikkei building which is convenient to Tokyo Station and atop
Otemachi station (serviced by the Marunouchui, Hanzoumon, Touzai and Chiyoda
lines).

The auditorium is tiered, and it is an imposing site to look up at a room
full of faces. There are complete electronic facilities, and presentations
are VGA output from PowerPoint.

The theme of last year's conference was SANs (Storage Area Networks), and
the number of suitable subjects was very broad; cabling, management,
topology, capability, storage, etc. This year the emphasis will shift to
include the management of SANs, as that is the next major step in system
integration.

Also, clustering is one of the top three issues with IT sites around the
country, and the complementary theme to SAN management is the application
arena for the new FC-VI (Virtual Interface) standard.

The primary problem is avoiding duplication of content, so choice of subject
matter will be based on the order in which speakers commit. The early birds
get to choose their favorite subject.

Last year we had 200 in the audience of which approximately 20% were vendors
and/or associated with the exhibitors. About 50% were senior engineers and
middle to upper managers from OEMs. The remaining 30% was distributors plus
a presence from the large user companies which have staff that stay on top
of technical change (we would call them MIS or IT here). These are the teams
that introduce pilot programs into their corporations, and work closely with
distributors.

The above numbers do not include the Americans who traveled over or the
Nikkei staff members. Nikkei Group is pretty much all of the trade press in
Japan (there are several papers and magazines in a publishing empire that
has no equal in the U.S.). Even magazines that we know as competitors over
here are published by Nikkei. Nikkei Electronics and Nikkei Byte are the
premier electronics magazines. Editors from many publications attended the
conference and interviewed several of the exhibitors and speakers.

An Exhibitors Reception will be held on Monday evening. Last year was an
outstanding success, and Nikkei have agreed to serve food in both rooms this
year so that we do not 'lose' visitors when they want to replenish their
plate. There are only a limited number of exhibit spaces available, and once
again preference will go to the early birds.

Final pricing has not been established yet, but should be in the same
ballpark as last year at $6,000 to exhibit at the reception and $2,600 for a
full page ad in the conference brochure.

The translation is professionally done from Japanese-English as well as
English-Japanese so we are able to share the podium with local speakers and
know what they had to say. The simultaneous translation over wireless
headsets not only makes it easy for the audience, the panels are more
interactive than you would otherwise expect.

We already have 12 speakers and 6 exhibitors committed, and with only two
days and a limited exhibits space I would appreciate your response ASAP.

If there is anything else you would like to know, you can reach me at:

         408-867-6630x777           250-1752 at mcimail.com

All the best,

Dal

                  NIKKEI FALL CONFERENCE SIGNUP

       Company: ________________________________

          Name: ________________________________

         Email: ________________________________

Exhibitor at the Reception on Monday evening ___

Advertisement in the conference brochure     ___

A presentation entitled: _______________________________________

If my glowing hyperbole makes you suspicious and you would like to get
a second opinion, please you can call anyone on the list of speakers below
(if you need a contact number, let me know) or check with the exhibitors on
what they thought about the quality and quantity of their leads.

Speakers last year were:

   Mark Delsman     Adaptec              Sunil Bhandari  Hewlett Packard
   Rob Davis        Ancor                Harry Mason     Symbios Logic
   Philip Black     Box Hill             George Penokie  IBM
   Kumar Malavalli  Brocade              Loren Card      McData
   Lou Gagliardi    Compaq               Vince Melendy   Methode
   Roger Cummings   DPT                  Johan Olstenius One of Us
   Dal Allan        ENDL                 Skip Jones      QLogic
   Yuichi Arai      HUCOM                Paul Rettberg   RaidTec
   Isao Sanaka      Fujitsu              Dave Anderson   Seagate
   Mike Fitzpatrick Fujitsu CPA          Jim Hughes      StorageTek
   Scott Ruple      G2 Networks          Ken Hallam      Unisys
   Howey Chin       Gadzoox              Joe Taylor      Vixel

Exhibitors last year were:

   Box Hill             Gadzoox Networks      QLogic
   Compaq               Hewlett Packard       RaidTec
   DPT                  Hucom                 STA
   Digital Equipment    McData                StorageTek
   FC Community         Methode               Symbios Logic
   Fujitsu America      One of Us             Vixel

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com