removing SCAM from SPI-3

Robert Elliott relliott at hobbit.eng.hou.compaq.com
Wed Nov 11 07:28:51 PST 1998

* relliott at hobbit.eng.hou.compaq.com (Robert Elliott)
*
Nobody seems to use the SCSI Configured Automatically (SCAM) protocol
defined in Annex B of SPI-2.  According to the PC 99 specification,
Microsoft prohibits its use when running Windows operating systems.
It is unnecessary in systems using SCA-2 connectors that assign SCSI
IDs by position.  Some SCSI expanders do not support SCAM.  The SCAM
annex adds 18 pages to the specification.

I propose we instruct the SPI-3 editor to remove all references to
SCAM, possibly leaving a note about it being obsolete like HVD or
32-bit SCSI.  Removing it would simply involve elimination of annex B.

Rob Elliott      UNIX mailto:relliott at hobbit.eng.hou.compaq.com
Houston, TX        PC mailto:Robert.Elliott at compaq.com
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com