Draft Minutes of SPI-3 Working Group

John Lohmeyer lohmeyer at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 18 11:44:19 PDT 1998

* John Lohmeyer <lohmeyer at ix.netcom.com>
*
Gene,

I've prepared rev 1 of the SPI-3 minutes with your comments included as
noted below.

At 5/13/98 03:32 PM, Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com wrote:
>Well I don't know what happened on the attendance roster but Mayank Patel
>does not share John Masiewicz's Email address. The address should be
>patel at cdg.seagate.com.

I cloned John's database entry and edited it to make Mayank's database
record.  I must have missed updating the email address.  Fixed now:

"Mr. Mayank R. Patel    V  Seagate Technology        patel at cdg.seagate.com"

><<The SPI-2 description of case 4 hot-plugging was reviewed.  Gene Milligan
>closed the discussion by noting that it is hard to say you will not get
>errors
>and difficult to say you will never get undetectable errors.  Gene
>concluded
>that everything points to the importance of adding CRC when the transfer
>rates
>are increased.>>
>

>     This seems accurate but leaves out my key statement that all the
>discussion seems to be directed at the fact the SPI-2 standard works well
>and that since it is a forwarded draft standard why is the working group
>spending more time on SPI-2?

I've added your 'key statement' to the minutes as follows:

"Gene Milligan closed the discussion by noting that all the discussion
seems to be directed at the fact the SPI-2 standard works well and that
since it is a forwarded draft standard why is the working group spending
more time on SPI-2?  Gene also noted that it is hard to say you will not
get errors and difficult to say you will never get undetectable errors.
Gene concluded that everything points to the importance of adding CRC when
the transfer rates are increased further."

>Regarding QAS <<and none produced the problems that Bruce could show to be
>fatal.>>
>
>     Should this be "and none produced the problems that Bruce thought
>would be fatal."?

Changed to: "and none appeared to produce the problems that Bruce thought
would be fatal."

><<Gene Milligan presented 98-152r0, an overview of a Fast-80 proposal
>(called
>Fast 80ish in the presentation)>>
>
>     This is certainly accurate but with the parenthetical statement
>included my statement that "it was titled Fast 80ish since it included some
>techniques that probably are not required for Fast 80 but could very well
>be used with Fast 160" should also be included.
>
>     I think that the minutes should include the fact that there was
>general agreement (or at least no opposition) to the fact that the proposal
>also removed HVD support from SPI-3 except so far for the DIFFSENS values.

Both the change and the addition are included in rev 1:

"(called Fast 80ish in the presentation because Gene felt that some of the
described techniques might not be needed until Fast-160)"

"There was general agreement (no opposition) to removing HVD support from
SPI-3, except for noting the HVD voltage levels on the DIFFSENS signal."

><<Ed say that he would not be applying for a patent and the Quantum
>representatives said that any
>patents covering the 98-154 proposal would be licensed at no cost.>>
>
>     I think they actually said they were not aware of any patents or
>patent applications but if Quantum did have a patent required for the
>standard it would be licensed by them to anyone implementing the standard
>at no cost.

Fixed as follows:  "Ed said that he would not be applying for a patent.
The Quantum representatives said they were not aware of any patents or
patent applications but should any Quantum patent be required to implement
the standard, Quantum would license the patent at no cost."

Thanks for your comments!
John

John Lohmeyer                  Email: lohmeyer at ix.netcom.com
Symbios, Inc.                  Voice: +1-719-533-7560
Colo Spgs, CO 80907              BBS: +1-719-533-7950

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com