Task Management

Patrick_R_Kiebach at notes.seagate.com Patrick_R_Kiebach at notes.seagate.com
Tue May 12 11:30:46 PDT 1998

* Patrick_R_Kiebach at notes.seagate.com
*
Larry -

The scope of the Task Management Function Abort Task Set is ITL.  The ITL
nexus scope meaning
 that this TM function will abort all tasks for the specified lun from a
specific initiator.  Please reference
SAM X3T10 994D.  The following chart may help clarify things.  The chart
shows the scope of the TM
function, the name of the TM function and the SCSI-2 equivalent message.

Nexus scope / SCSI-3 Task Management Function / SCSI-2 Message equivalent
ITL  / Abort Task Set / Abort
ITLQ / Abort Task / Abort Tag
IT / Target Reset / Bus Device Reset
TL / Clear Task Set / Clear Queue
ITL / Clear ACA / Release Recovery
ITLQ / Terminate Task / Terminate IO Process

A clearer way to state the Task Set definition would perhaps be -
Task Set - A group of tasks for a logical unit within a target device,
whose interaction is dependent on the queuing and auto contingent
allegiance rules.

- Pat

Folks,
A properly implemented software convention using the persistent reserve
function appears to me to be precisely what Larry is looking for.
Bob

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com