HiSupport bit description in Inquiry

Larry Chen larryc at maxstrat.com
Fri Jul 24 12:26:20 PDT 1998

* Larry Chen <larryc at maxstrat.com>
*

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998 09:58:34 -0500  Gerry_Houlder at notes.seagate.com wrote:
>* From the T10 (formerly SCSI) Reflector (t10 at symbios.com), posted by:
>* Gerry_Houlder at notes.seagate.com
>*
>At the last SCSI working group meeting, we had a discussion about the
>hierarchical address model in SAM-2. The discussion resulted in changing a
>"may" to "shall" for supporting this model, even for single level LUN
>products. With this in mind, I ran across this wording of the HiSupport bit
>in Inquiry command:
>
>"A hierarchical support (HiSupport) bit of zero indicates the target does
>not use the hierarchical addressing model to assign LUNs to logical units.
>A HiSupport bit of one indicates the target uses the hierarchical
>addressing model to assign LUNs to logical units. When the HiSupport bit is
>one, the device server shall support the REPORT LUNS command (see 7.19)."
>
>Since every device "shall" support the hierarchical addressing, the wording
>for this bit shouldn't allow for a target to "not use" the hierarchical
>addressing model. The wording should change so that this bit only indicates
>whether the REPORT LUNS command is supported or not. We should also
>consider renaming the bit, since it no longer implies Hierarchical
>addressing Support. How about RLS (Report LUNs Support)?
>
>Please use reflector to give opinions on whether to change this wording or
>not.

I agree that HiSupport bit has a problem now.
your suggestion to change HiSupport to RLS sounds
reasonable to me.

I would also like to tighten the scope on the RLS bit
to Lun 0 only.

There are few SCSI drivers in the NT/Fibre channel space that are using
the Report Luns command as we speak. It appears that the SCSI driver writers
are still uncertain on how to probe the lun space.

-Larry

>*
>* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com

Larry Chen             Tel: 408.383.1600 (x116)
MAXSTRAT Corporation   Fax: 408.383.1616
801 Buckeye Court      E-mail: larryc at maxstrat.com
Milpitas, CA 95035     URL: http://www.maxstrat.com/

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com