Clearing effects table for FC-Tape

Rob Basham robbyb at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 1 14:25:12 PDT 1998

* Rob Basham <robbyb at us.ibm.com>
*
=0ADave,
This is a comment on the Clearing effects table for FC-Tape.  I have a
question.  Why do so many actions affect more than just the one port on=
 which
the Initiator Action takes place?  It seems that with the wrong hardwar=
defect, this has the potential to take down all ports (effectively) to =
the tape
drive, reducing the "value add" of alternate ports for high availabilit=
y.

Also, with the wrong topology choice I could envision a single initiato=
r action
on one loop cascading and causing problems on all loops.  Even with sma=
rt
topology choices, it can at least cascade to the next loop over in a co=
mmon
dual loop topology.
Regards,
Rob