Progress on TC 100 Liaison (Multi-media)

Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
Fri Feb 27 08:03:03 PST 1998


* From the T10 (formerly SCSI) Reflector (t10 at symbios.com), posted by:
* Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
*
The following followup from the meeting I previously reported seems to =
be
in the right direction:
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
MEETING REPORT

JOINT MEETING OF THE:
JTC 1 US TAG AD HOC ON IEC TC100
IEC TC100 US TAG AD HOC ON JTC 1 CONCERNS

DATE:
February 18, 1998 - 10:00am - 4:00pm

LOCATION:
AMP Incorporated.  Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.


Present:

Karen Higginbottom - Hewlett Packard - JTC 1 TAG - higginbottom at cup.hp.=
com
John Hill - AMP Inc. - hosting - jhill at amp.com
Scott Jameson - Digital Equipment Corporation -   scott.jameson at digital=
.com
Michael Nier - Eastman Kodak - IEC TC100 TAG / JTC 1 TAG  - nier at kodak.=
com
Jim Romlein - MIS Labs  - IEC TC100 TAG  - jwromlein at mislabs.com
Henry Cuschieri - Electronic Industries Association - hcuschieri at eia.or=
g

Opening

The meeting was called to order by John Hill, AMP Inc. at 10:00am.

Comments from host

Mr. Hill began the meeting by outlining the day?s purpose as the
development of a collaborative agreement for a US position concerning
relationship of Program of Work of IEC TC100 and JTC 1.

Discussion ensued, during which the following points were raised by the=

group:

Concern has come from the US so US should put forward the solution.
Close alliance at the AGS level between JTC 1 and IEC TC100

Appointment of recording secretary

The volunteer host asked Mr. Cuschieri of EIA to act as the recording
secretary.  Mr. Cuschieri agreed.

Considerations

In analyzing the day?s discussions, the group arrived at the following =
main
considerations:

Other groups
Mr. Nier indicated that during the course of the meeting, he would be
considering the concerns of other organizations outside JTC 1.

Time-line
The intent is for the set of principles arrived at this meeting to be
carried into the March 1998 JTC
1 TAG meeting.  The same set of principles will be sent to the TC100 US=
 TAG
via letter ballot.




Market relevance
Standards activity must reflect the market place and not drive it.
Industry will look at where the work is getting done and will apply to =
get
involved.

Mr. Hill offered the following plan of action for the meeting:

1) Review documents

2) Identify specific problem issues

3) Craft ideas working towards a solution.

Review Documents

The group reviewed the documents on the agenda.  Mr. Jameson introduced=
 the
following additional documents:

JTAG 2 - 256: Outline for a proposal for progression of joint work in i=
mage
technology standardization
JTAG 2 - 257: Resolutions from JTAG 2 meeting 1998-01-13/14, Geneva,
Switzerland.

Following the document review, the group arrived at the following
objective:

To Arrive at a recommended US position to carry to JTC 1 and TC100 to
respond to the Committee of Action request, for consideration by the
respective TAGs concerned.

Identify specific problem issues

The group discussed potential specific problem areas and arrived at the=

following:
|------------------>
|                  |
| JTC 1 Activity   |
|                  |
|------------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                          |
  | IEC TC100 Activity                                       |
  |                                                          |
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------>
|                  |
|                  |
|                  |
|------------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                          |
  |                                                          |
  |                                                          |
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------>
|                  |
| SC29             |
|                  |
|------------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                          |
  | IEC 61966                                                |
  |                                                          |
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------>
|                  |
| SC25/WG4         |
|                  |
|------------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                          |
  | 1394 activities & 61883                                  |
  |                                                          |
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------>
|                  |
| SC11 or SC23     |
|                  |
|------------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                          |
  | Media projects - old IEC projects                        |
  |                                                          |
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------>
|                  |
|  SC28            |
|                  |
|------------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                          |
  | Image / scanner - office equipment                       |
  |                                                          |
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------>
|                  |
| SC29?            |
|                  |
|------------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                          |
  | 61883-4??                                                |
  |                                                          |
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------>
|                  |
|                  |
|                  |
|------------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                          |
  | 61937                                                    |
  |                                                          |
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------>
|                  |
| SC18             |
|                  |
|------------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                          |
  | Home electronic systems                                  |
  |                                                          |
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------>
|                  |
| SC25/WG1         |
|                  |
|------------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                          |
  | Home electronic systems                                  |
  |                                                          |
  >----------------------------------------------------------|




Other potential problem areas:

User interface guidelines
User interface symbology - 61997
Fiber distribution - 61883-4
61937

Conclusions:

The group arrived at the following conclusions:

There are identified areas of potential overlap.
There is a lack of communication.

The group further concluded that the following problems are created fro=
m
the potential overlap:

There is little or no communication to determine potential overlap.
Different projects in the same space may lead to multiple conflicting
standards on the same functionality.
Is the dimension of the problem different in each of the groups?  Could=
 be
an application issue.  Are both groups trying to solve the same things?=
 May
be that TC100 would be a consumer or user of JTC 1 standards.  Projects=

would not intrude on each other if applications were kept defined.
Fragmentation. - a standard dealing with an issue on one plane only.
Multiple standards.
Also - consumer usability - business relationship.
It costs more to maintain resources - playing in multiple arenas - Lead=
s to
multiple product variance and limited interoperability.
Complicates viable corporate strategies by people from same companies
participating in both places.
Additional time required

Craft ideas working towards a solution

The following suggestions were offered as leading to a possible solutio=
n
concerning the potential overlap:

Using the liaison mechanism more effectively
Joint meetings
Modify the domestic PINS process for use in this instance - on-line acc=
ess.
Broaden the availability of the New Work Item Proposal (NP)

The group concluded that implementation of all the ideas highlighted wo=
uld
result in more effective communication and further concluded that
consideration of TC100 as one of JTC 1?s biggest customers would mitiga=
te
the gravity of the issue.

The group concluded that two statements needed to be put together follo=
wing
this meeting:

- A position to be carried forward to the IEC Committee of Action meeti=
ng
and JTC 1 Plenary, both to be held in June 1998.

- An explanatory background document for the US TAGs.

The following are ideas noted during the discussion concerning the cont=
ent
of the position to be carried forward to the IEC Committee of Action
meeting and the JTC 1 Plenary.

Possible opening statement:
Given the rapid evolution of information technology and multimedia prod=
ucts
and the corresponding demand for standards in these areas we observe th=
at
some standards development infrastructure changes are necessary to
accommodate the needs of industry TC100 and JTC 1, in an effort to addr=
ess
these needs develop a model to ?

To resolve the potential overlap, mechanisms must be in place at variou=
s
levels of the organization.  It is imperative that all levels of the
standards structure be involved in this activity. For instance:?

ISO/IEC staff create an on-line real time project initiation notificati=
on
system as a tool for all national bodies.

To constrain the Program of Work of either group would increase the ris=
k of
necessary standards development not being carried out.

Principles:
Rely on existing national body mechanisms for coordination of new work.=

Once work begins, other mechanisms can be implemented to deal with the
problem.
Implies broader dissemination of information by Geneva - to facilitate
national body coordination.
Participation in multiple areas should be limited.
All voices should be heard.

Build a framework at the management level to create a collaborative
environment for the two organizations to work together - framework to b=
e
utilized at the technical level on an as-needed basis.  Example:  JTC 1=
 and
ITU-T collaboration activity.

The intent of this meeting is to increase communication and to not
constrain the ability of either organization to embark on work they dee=
m
necessary to satisfy the demands of their respective constituencies.

We are making recommendations for communication improvement - but no
overtly structural changes are being proposed.  We are recommending a
change in process, not strucure.

We are proposing methods to try to address the issues we seek as witnes=
sed
under the existing system.  - Process improvements.

Proposal is essentially an MOU between IEC TC100 and JTC 1

The international contribution should be crafted in such a way that the=

international community will not react by concluding that the work
suggested therein should be carried out by existing liaison mechanisms.=

Liaison is critical but enforcement activity has to be introduced so th=
at
redress mechanisms are incorporated.

Nothing should be done to the national committee / national body proces=
s.
In US, we have to make our own solutions w/out assigning this to anyone=

else.

Have to determine the most feasible process for joint communication of
document flow.

Assignment of action items:

ACTION:  IEC TC100 US TAG Administrator to send all IEC TC100 US TAG
documents to the JTC 1 TAG Administrator.  (Done as of 1996)

ACTION:  JTC 1 TAG Administrator to circulate all IEC TC100 US TAG
documents to the entire JTC 1 US TAG for comment.

ACTION:  (Following determination of the relevant JTC 1 subcommittees),=

JTC 1 TAG Administrator to send all NP ballots to IEC TC100 TAG
Administrator for circulation to the IEC TC100 TAG for comment.

ACTION:  MICHAEL NIER to craft explanatory background document to be
circulated to the US TAGs.  The document should describe the background=
 of
the situation that has led to the perception of overlap.  Also, the
document will give background to the ?economic conditions?, and will
outline the recommendations to appear within the international
contribution.  Document to be e-mailed to the ad hoc group by February =
27,
1998

ACTION:  SCOTT JAMESON to craft draft contribution from the US to both =
JTC
1 and IEC TC100. Document to be e-mailed to the ad hoc group by Februar=
y
27, 1998

ACTION:  Following circulation of the draft documents to the ad hoc (af=
ter
Feb 27), ENTIRE AD HOC to propose editorial and content changes VIA E-M=
AIL.
Final version to be sent to Henry Cuschieri by March 9, 1998.

ACTION:  JOHN HILL to put together cover letter introducing the two
documents for the benefit of the US TAGs.  Due:  March 9, 1998.

ACTION:  Following receipt of final versions of all documents, IEC TC10=
0
TAG ADMINISTRATOR to distribute to IEC TC100 TAG and to JTC 1 TAG
Administrator.

ACTION:  Upon receipt of final documents from the IEC TC100 TAG
Administrator, JTC 1 TAG ADMINISTRATOR to distribute to JTC 1 TAG.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 4:00pm.  Attendees thanked the host for
providing the facilities for the meeting.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=


Gene
=


*
* For T10 Reflector information, send a message with
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com




More information about the T10 mailing list