A/B Port bit in Inquiry Data

Binford, Charles cbinford at ppdpost.ks.symbios.com
Tue Feb 3 10:16:00 PST 1998

* "Binford, Charles" <cbinford at ppdpost.ks.symbios.com>
*

Hello Bob,

I agree with your comments in general.  However, I don't see how I can use
the mechanisms you mention below to solve the problem of mapping a path to a
device to either port A or B in SES.  Consider the following:

       |--------------|
       |     Host     |
       |              |  Host with 2 FC adapters - hba1 and hba2
       |              |
       | hba1    hba2 |
       |---+------+---|
           |      |
          /        \
  Loop 1 /          \ Loop 2
        /            \
  |------------------------|
  |  esm device            |
  |                        |   FC JBOD with 5 dual-ported drives
  | d1   d2   d3   d4   d5 |   (d1 - d5), plus a dual ported enclosure
service
  |------------------------|   device (esm).

The SES definition of the Device element page (rev 8a, page 39) provides the
ability to enable and disable the bypass for port A and port B
independently.  In my example above, I'd like to use SES to bypass ports
connected to loop 2 (say a port's receiver broke and brought the loop down).
 Given the picture, the host would issue an SES command via hba1, across
loop 1, to the esm device.  In the SES data, the host would indicate that
the esm should bypass the 'B' ports of the drives.

Now, lets consider the assumptions I just made:

 - The "loop 2" connector on the JBOD box is connected to the 'B' port of the
drives.  Valid assumption, manufacture can ensure that.

 - The ESM device interprets the 'ENBALE BYP B' bit in the SES data as being
associated with loop 2.  Again, a valid assumption because it is under
control of the JBOD manufacturer.

 - Loop 2 is connected to hba2. INVALID assumption.  The *user* ran the
cables from the JBOD to the HBAs, software has no way to know if loop 2
(port B on the drives) is connected to hba1 or hba2.

Another way to look at the same problem is this.  Assume that loop 2 goes
down for the same reason (broken receiver in a port).  The host knows that
the remaining good path is loop 1, **but he doesn't know if he should tell
the esm device to bypass loop A or loop B ports**.  There must be some
reliable way to know if hba1 is connected to port A or port B of the drive.

The bit in the Inquiry seems to be a handy way to accomplish this.  Granted,
it is limited to only two port devices, but then again so is SES's Device
element definition.

If you have another way to solve the problem I'd love to here it.

Charles Binford
Symbios

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com