A/B Port bit in Inquiry Data

Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
Mon Feb 2 10:45:50 PST 1998

* Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
*
Too bad we didn't mark it obsolete rather than vender specific.

Gene

ROWEBER at acm.org on 02/01/98 07:14:08 PM

To:   T10 at Symbios.COM, larryc at maxstrat.com
cc:    (bcc: Gene Milligan)
Subject:  Re: A/B Port bit in Inquiry Data

* ROWEBER at acm.org
*
Larry,
Several of the drafts of SPC identified bit 5 in byte 6 and the MultiP
bit.  Its function was as you describe, 0=A-port 1=B-port.  The bit has
since been marked vendor-specific, so that implementations that used
the MultiP bit are still good.
Although I cannot speak for the T10 committee, my understanding is that
the desire is to allow implementations with more than two ports.  Hence,
a single bit is insufficient to identify which port, and thus the fate
of the MultiP bit.  Since there is no agreement on the proper upper
limit for the number of ports, no field has been defined in the
Inquiry data to take the place of MultiP.
All in all, you may wish to consider using the vendor-specific bit
at bit position 5 in byte 6 to implement the port identifier flag
described in your mail.
Thanks.
Ralph...
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com