SPI-3 & Packetized

Lawrence J. Lamers ljlamers at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 10 05:46:09 PST 1998

* "Lawrence J. Lamers" <ljlamers at ix.netcom.com>
*
George,

I was reviewing SPI-3 and suddenly realized that packet protocol is
restricted to DT DATA phases.  I don't remember this decision being made.
Is there a technical reason for this?

It is my belief that DT will fail in many existing backplane designs; if we
speed negotiate down to ST or SE we loose any CRC protection.  If we
convince the world to go packetized shouldn't it be available independant
of the physical layer?

Lawrence J. Lamers                     Adaptec, Inc
email:   ljlamers at ieee.org            691 South Milpitas Blvd.
Phone: (408) 578-1709                 Milpitas, CA  95035

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com