Suggested changes to standards reflectors

Erich Oetting erich_oetting at stortek.com
Mon Dec 7 13:28:01 PST 1998

* Erich Oetting <erich_oetting at stortek.com>
*
greg at xtp.engr.sgi.com wrote:
>Most of the crap I receive comes from reflectors.
>
>That suggests that reflector software, instead of simply forwarding,
>could reject submissions from non-members.  Has anyone checked
>whether pussypary152 is a member of X3T11?

Implementing this would require a lot of manual work on the part of list
administrators, who are already overworked.  I also think that the
reflectors should be open to use by persons who are not members of T11 or
other standards bodies.

I would suggest the following changes to the configuration of standards
reflectors:

1. Messages may only be posted by persons that have subscribed to the
reflector.

2. Use the available feature in Majordomo that sends a message to the
subscribers email address.  This message must be returned before a
subscription is activated.

3. Turn off the Majordomo feature that allows a user to examine the
subscriber list.

  ... Erich Oetting

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com