Does TST == 001b break initiator software?

Charles A Monia charles_a_monia at corp.adaptec.com
Mon Apr 6 09:34:26 PDT 1998

* "Charles A Monia" <charles_a_monia at corp.adaptec.com>
--------------3CCC7C65195ED40824AE2267

PJohansson wrote:

> * From the T10 (formerly SCSI) Reflector (t10 at symbios.com), posted by:
> * PJohansson <PJohansson at aol.com>
> *
> In a message dated 98-04-04 09:48:41 EST, ROWEBER at acm.org writes:
>
> <<As for implementations using TST=001b, they are new implementations, at
> least with respect to what is specified in the standards.  Since they are new
> implementations, they should have no problem coping with the fact that ABORT
> TASK SET is the same as CLEAR TASK SET.  Just as the standard makes it pretty
> clear that a READ command will transfer data to the host, the standard can
> (should) made it clear that ABORT TASK SET is the same as CLEAR TASK SET, when
> TST=001b.  It's all a part of incorporating 97-225 in the draft standards.>>
>
> This is the point that is the heart of my argument:
>
> * If ABORT TASK SET equals CLEAR TASK SET when TST=001b, why should we have
> both?

As I commented in an earlier private note sent to Peter:

"Is there a way to perform the equivalent of  CLEAR TASK SET when TST=001b?  If
not,  it seems to me that the correct change is to extend the function so it
clears all tasks in all task sets belonging to the logical unit.  That change is
guaranteed to work without affecting compatibility."

Charles

--------------3CCC7C65195ED40824AE2267

begin:          vcard
fn:             Charles Monia