Does TST == 001b break initiator software?

Larry Chen larryc at maxstrat.com
Fri Apr 3 12:46:39 PST 1998

* Larry Chen <larryc at maxstrat.com>
*
Hi Peter,

I haven't been following SBP/SBP-2 much so my responses
may be way off target.

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998 14:37:17 EST  PJohansson wrote:
>* From the T10 (formerly SCSI) Reflector (t10 at symbios.com), posted by:
>* PJohansson <PJohansson at aol.com>
>*
>OK, I hope I have your attention (that's you, host software developers).
>
>I'd like some feedback...
>
>As observed in an earlier message, when TST equals 001b both ABORT TASK SET
>and CLEAR TASK SET produce the same results.
>
>My concern is that any host software that issues CLEAR TASK SET is expecting
>other initiator's tasks (for the same logical unit) to be aborted. When TST
>equals 001b they won't be, because they are in separate task sets. Does this
>result in unexpected behavior of the initiator/target system?

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't multi-initiator (which
includes multi-pathing to the same LUN WWN) support for the
basic queuing model off limits (i.e., NOT supported).
If this is true then I would agree that Abort Task Set and
Clear Task Set could be treated the same when TST equals
001b.

Regards,
Larry
>So, a few questions:
>
>* When is CLEAR TASK SET used?
>
>* Is CLEAR TASK SET only used when the targets support full SAM queuing?
>
>* Does initiator software have to be revised to operate correctly with TST
>equals 001b targets?
>
>* If initiator software requires revision, is there any reason to use CLEAR
>TASK SET instead of ABORT TASK SET when TST equals 001b?
>
>Regards,
>
>Peter Johansson
>
>Congruent Software, Inc.
>3998 Whittle Avenue
>Oakland, CA  94602
>
>(510) 531-5472
>(510) 531-2942 FAX
>
>pjohansson at aol.com
>

>*
>* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com

Larry Chen             Tel: 408.383.1600 (x116)
MAXSTRAT Corporation   Fax: 408.383.1616
801 Buckeye Court      E-mail: larryc at maxstrat.com
Milpitas, CA 95035     URL: http://www.maxstrat.com/

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com