Fw: Clarification of Web Distribution of Standards (Draft orApproved)

cummings_roger at dpt.com cummings_roger at dpt.com
Tue Sep 23 13:22:39 PDT 1997

* cummings_roger at dpt.com
*

Ed,

Did you happen to notice the fees for ECMA membership while you were on the
site ? From memory, full membership costs something over $10K per year (it
varies because it is tied to expenses and quoted in ecus anyway), with
associates paying half, and companies of less than 100K turnover or
something paying one fourth. If you, and the other T10 and T11 members,
were willing to pay these sort of fees, then I'm quite sure that John and I
could set up a Secretariat organization to do exactly the sort of things
that you mention !

Don't get me wrong - I have the greatest admiration for ECMA and what they
have achieved. They had a BBS, and a web site, before our standards
secretariat did, and their model has some distinct advantages. But what
makes it work is the fees that the membership pay. Given an equivalent set
of financial resources, we could defintely do the same.

Regards,

Roger Cummings
Chair, TC T11

cummings_roger at dpt.com