SSA IS an Industry Standard

Skip Jones sk_jones at qlc.com
Mon Mar 17 13:04:38 PST 1997

* Skip Jones <sk_jones at qlc.com>
*
Devil's Advocate says,

Almost ALL of the $600 Million mentioned below is found on internal IBM
Material Transfers, NOT good old fashioned Purchase Orders that
represents incremental revenue - without SSA, IBM's drive slots would
have been filled with an 'it doesn't matter what interface' disk drives
- IBM's demand for storage extends well beyond an interface - as much as
some would like to believe that interfaces are 'sooo' important to
buyers, the fact is that people buy storage, not interfaces.

1 petabyte?  So what?  Measuring the success or inferiority of an I/O
technology based on how many bytes have been sold under the I/O is
amusing, at best.  Think about this; it took about one work week for 1
petabyte to ship under an ATA hood, and it took about 5 weeks for 1
petabyte to ship under a SCSI hood.  Again, so what?

PS:  The devil also congratulates Bill Ham and John Shieble for thier
committment to technology and getting the job done.  Bill has been one
of the most valuable contributors of all time to parallel SCSI's
evolution and continued success.  Also, Bill and John have both been
extremely valuable with their efforts towards defining, editing, and
creating Fibre Channel Loop.  Thanks guys and keep up the good work!

Devil

* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com