96-277r1 - Proposed Change in QErr for SPC-2

Gene Milligan Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
Mon Mar 3 08:31:36 PST 1997

* Gene Milligan <Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com>
*
>First and foremost, I want a standard that does not give its readers the
>impression that something works, when in fact, it does not work at all.
>The current SPC text does this in the definition of QErr=1 behavior.
>QErr=1 (or as proposed in 96-277r1, QErr=01) does not work in multi-
>initiator systems.

 As far as I know this is an erroneous assertion. I think we will need to talk
it through in the working group. The definition was insisted upon by one of the
earliest implementors of multi-initiator SCSI systems. I have the impression
that Ralph's discussion is from the perspective of SCSI only communication
between the initiators and/or from the perspective of non-cooperating
initiators. The behavior I think was to take the place of ECA and to stop
continued operation until the serious error software resources could be
mustered.

 Systems that are not benefited by QErr=1 and more importantly are disrupted by
the behavior (assuming they have not succumbed to the original error) simply
should not set QErr=1. After all if it hurts, stop doing it.

Gene
* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com