SBP-2: When are we done?

Stephen Finch/SSI1 Stephen_Finch/SSI1.SSI1 at notes-gw.tus.ssi1.com
Tue Jun 17 11:50:54 PDT 1997

* Stephen Finch/SSI1 <Stephen_Finch/SSI1.SSI1 at notes-gw.tus.ssi1.com>
*
It appears that the async portion of SBP-2 is very solid, but stalled waiting
for isoc to be completed.  At the same time, Tailgate and other specification
developments (e.g., Mass Storage Profile) are nearing completion.  These are
based upon, no, rely upon SBP-2.  To release these before SBP-2 doesn't seem
right.  Especially considering that none of these use the isoc protion of SBP-2.

I'd like to propose that we move SBP-2 forward by:

1) removing the isoc information, getting the final inclusions accomplished and
then doing the final reviews.

2) request a new project to do SBP-3 whose main function is to add isoc
capabilities.  There maybe things from 1394A as well.

Yes, the SBP-2 project proposal probably includes isoc capability today, but we
can request to change the scope of SBP-2  at the same time as we are requesting
authorization for SBP-3.

Pandora's box is now officially open....

steve finch

* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com