Results on T10 Letter Ballot 97-026r0 on Approving DIS 14776-411 SAM

John Lohmeyer John.Lohmeyer at symbios.com
Fri Jun 6 20:52:51 PDT 1997

* John Lohmeyer <John.Lohmeyer at Symbios.com>
*
Please note:  Since this was an accelerated letter ballot, the six
organizations that did not vote were not placed in letter ballot jeopardy.

Also, due to time constraints, there will be no attempt to resolve the one
negative ballot (it does not appear resolvable anyway).

John

                                                           T10/97-027 R0
Voting Results on T10 Letter Ballot 97-026r0 on
Approving DIS 14776-411 SAM

Organization                      Name                 S Vote Add'l Info
--------------------------------- -------------------- - ---- ----------
Adaptec, Inc.                     Norman H. Harris     P Yes
AMP, Inc.                         Charles Brill        P Yes
Amphenol Interconnect             Michael L. Wingard   P Yes
Ancot Corp.                       Gary Porter          A Yes
Apple Computer                    Ronald K. Roberts    A Yes
Berg Electronics                                         DNV
Cable Design Technologies         Richard Wagner       P Yes
Ciprico Inc.                      Gerry Johnsen        P Yes
Circuit Assembly Corp.                                   DNV
Cirrus Logic Inc.                 Ken Wolfgang         P Yes
CMD Technology                    Edward Haske         P Yes
Congruent Software, Inc.          Peter Johansson      P Yes
Dallas Semiconductor              Charles Tashbook     P Yes
Data General / Clariion           Greg McSorley        P Yes
Digital Equipment Corp.           Charles Monia        P Yes
Distributed Processing Tech.      Roger Cummings       P Yes
Eastman Kodak Co.                 Robert Reisch        P Yes
ENDL                              I D Allan            P Yes
Exabyte Corp.                     Constance L. Kephart P Yes
Fujitsu                           Chris Nieves         P Yes
Harting Elektronik Inc.           Martina Kuhlmeyer    A Yes
Hewlett Packard Co.               J. R. Sims, III      P Yes
Hitachi Cable Manchester,Inc      Zane Daggett         P Yes
Hitachi Micro Systems, Inc.       Paul Boulay          A Yes
Hitachi Storage Products          Anthony Yang         P Yes
Honda Connectors                  T. Kulesza           P Yes
IBM Corp.                                                DNV
KnowledgeTek, Inc.                Dennis Moore         P Yes
Linfinity Micro                   Dean wallace         P Yes
Madison Cable Corp.               Robert A. Bellino    P Yes
Maxtor Corp.                      Pete McLean          P Yes
Molex Inc.                        Joe Dambach          P Yes
NEC Electronics, Inc.                                    DNV
Oak Technology, Inc.                                     DNV
Ophidian Designs                  Edward A. Gardner    P No   IV Cmnts
Philips Key Modules               William P. McFerrin  P Yes
QLogic Corp.                                             DNV
Quantum Corp.                     Mark Evans           A Yes
Seagate Technology                Gene Milligan        P Yes  IV
Silicon Systems, Inc.             Dave Guss            P Yes
Sony Electronics, Inc.            Jan F. Rebalski      A Yes
Storage Technology Corp.          Erich Oetting        P Yes
Sun Microsystems Computer Co      Robert N. Snively    P Yes  Cmnts
Symbios Logic Inc.                John Lohmeyer        P Yes
SyQuest Technology, Inc.          Pat Mercer           P Yes
Tandem Computers                  Pete Tobias          P Yes
Toshiba America Info Sys          Tokuyuki Totani      P Yes
UNISYS Corporation                Ken Hallam           P Yes
Unitrode Corporation              Paul Aloisi          P Yes
Western Digital Corporation       Jeffrey L. Williams  P Yes
Woven Electronics                 Doug Piper           P Yes

Key:
P       Voter indicated he/she is principal member
A       Voter indicated he/she is alternate member
O       Voter indicated he/she is observer member
?       Voter indicated he/she is not member or does not know status
YesC    Yes with comments vote
Abs     Abstain vote
DNV     Organization did not vote
IV      Individual vote (not organizational vote)
Cmnts   Comments were included with ballot
NoCmnts No comments were included with a vote that requires comments
DUP     Duplicate ballot (last ballot received from org. is counted)
PSWD    The password was not correct (vote not counted)
ORG?    Organization is not voting member of T10 (vote not counted)

Ballot totals:
 44 Yes
  1 No
  0 Abstain
  6 Organization(s) did not vote
 51 Total voting organizations
  2 Ballot(s) included comments

This 2/3rds majority ballot passed.

Comments attached to No ballot from Edward A. Gardner of
Ophidian Designs:

1.  The question on this ballot is mis-stated.  It reads:

> Question: Do you approve DIS 14776-411 SAM?

In the strictest sense I approve of SAM.  It is well written, attractive,
reasonably structured, overall a document that I could make many complimentary
statements about.  However, that vote was already taken when T10 forwarded
SAM.  What is being asked here is to recommend that the U.S. representative or
TAG cast his/her/its vote to approve SAM as an ISO standard.  This I am
against.

2.  I am against this because I see no advantage to SAM being an
international standard.  Persuing SAM as an international standard merely
creates additional unnecessary overhead with no commensurate advantages.
Futhermore, the committee is already developing SAM-2, tantamount to a
replacement for SAM, with a target forwarding date of November 1997.  Persuing
or approving SAM as an international standard, when its replacement may well
be available before the international approval and publication process is
completed, is deceptive and a disservice to the industry and its customers.

3.  I must confess admiration for the following wording:

> The position options are:  approve; approve with editorial comments; or
> disapprove for technical reasons which are to be explained in an attached
> paper with recommended wording which, if accepted, would change the U.S.
> vote to one of approval.

>From a superficial perspective, this would appear to make it impossible to
cast a vote saying (in effect) this standard shouldn't exist.  However, past
experience is that "technical reasons" encompasses business, marketing and
political reasons, indeed anything that isn't purely editorial.  The following
wording changes would cause me to recommand approval:

a.  Eradicate every page, line and word of text, all figures, and all tables
|from DIS 14776-411 SAM, resulting in an empty or blank document.

b.  Alternately, substitute SAM-2 when it has been approved by ANSI.  More
generally, substitute SAM-n with the lowest value of n such that (i) SAM-n has
been published by ANSI, and (ii) T10 has not forwarded a project proposal for
a SAM-(n+1) prior to SAM-n being published by ANSI.

I feel it is simpler and preferable to choose option a, eradicate SAM as an
international standard, and deal with SAM-2 or SAM-n after such a standard has
been approved.

Edward A. Gardner               eag at ophidian.com
Ophidian Designs                719 593-8866 voice
1262 Hofstead Terrace           719 593-8989 fax
Colorado Springs, CO  80907

Comments attached to Yes ballot from Robert N. Snively of
Sun Microsystems Computer Co:

None

John Lohmeyer                 E-Mail: john.lohmeyer at symbios.com
Symbios Logic Inc.             Voice: 719-533-7560
4420 ArrowsWest Dr.              Fax: 719-533-7036
Colo Spgs, CO 80907-3444    SCSI BBS: 719-533-7950 300--28800 baud

* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com