Inquiry Data -Reply

PAT LaVarre LAVARRE at iomega.com
Tue Jun 3 14:08:25 PDT 1997

* PAT LaVarre <LAVARRE at IOMEGA.COM>
*
Iomega SCSI Zip drives, to name one (: stunningly :) low-cost product
line, do not have distinct serial numbers burned into each different drive.

NVRAM costs money.  The cost of NVRAM, even when quoted in
reasonable volumes (1e6 and up), tripled in the summer of '95, courtesy
supply and demand.  The demand then dropped.

On the other hand, without a drive serial number, I don't myself see how
it's possible to do such things as SCAM.

On the third hand, for the purpose of such things as SCAM, I've
sometimes wondered if something like a 64-bit random number would be,
as a practical matter, indistinguishable from a distinct serial number.

Cheers.   Pat LaVarre
p.lavarre at ieee.org

* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com