Fw: 96-277r1 - Proposed Change in QErr for SPC-2

Charles Monia 237-6757 monia at AM.SHRMSG.SHR.mts.dec.com
Thu Feb 27 15:30:50 PST 1997

* Charles Monia 237-6757 <monia at AM.SHRMSG.SHR.mts.dec.com>
*
Hi:

Ed Gardner said in part:
| * From the SCSI Reflector (scsi at symbios.com), posted by:
| * "Edward A. Gardner" <gardner at acm.org>
| *
| > As I read Ed's note, he is effectively proposing a change in the Basic
| queing
| > model which replaces QErr = 01b with QErr = 00b as the behavior
| **required** of
|
| Just to make things clear, I am not proposing this as a change to Basic
| Queuing.  Yes, I think it would be an improvement, and would vote for it if
| someone else proposed it, but this is minor enough that I'm more interested
| in consensus.  Peter Johannson (who I assume is representing the SBP-2 /
| diskboys community) has spoken quite strongly in support of QErr=11 (abort
| tasks from issuing initiator), that's good enough for me.
|
| I do wonder about the apparent controversy.  So far every company that
| actually buys disk drives has said that they want QErr=00.

 <stuff deleted>

We have a similar concern.

QErr = 11b means Digital may need to change host software. Although we can live
with it, from our point of view that's enough of a nuisance to warrant some
additional effort to justify it technically.

Charles

PS: If all that stopping us is the fact that no one's put forth a proposal to
make QErr = 00b mandatory for all devices, Digital would be be happy to do so.

* Charles Monia, Storage Architecture Group                      *
* Digital Equipment Co.  Internet: charles.monia at shr.mts.dec.com *
* Tel: (508) 841-6757    X400: c=US; a=MCI; o=Digital; ou=SHR    *
* Fax: (508) 841-6100                                            *

* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com