96-277r1 - Proposed Change in QErr for SPC-2

Jim Mcgrath jmcgrath at QNTM.COM
Fri Feb 14 17:24:02 PST 1997

* jmcgrath at qntm.com (Jim Mcgrath)
*

     Ralph,

     On the QErr bit proposal, you recently sent:

      It also must be noted that the proposed change in the definition of
      QErr affects the already approved proposal defining the Basic
      queuing model (96-198r4).  So that the Basic queuing model can be
      functional in a multi-initiator configuration, I propose that the
      previous Basic queuing model approval be amended to use QErr=11b and
      its associated definition above wherever 96-198r4 uses QErr=1.

       I disagree with this section of the proposal.  The focus of the
simple queuing was precisely on an environment without multiple initiators.
A tradeoff of functionality for simplicity was made for basic queueing - this
proposal attempts to reverse that tradeoff.  I know some people do not like
basic queuing precisely because it cannot be used in all environments - but
that is its very attraction to its proponents (like myself).

Jim
* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com