SBP-2

Lohmeyer, John JLOHMEYE at cossymwest.co.symbios.com
Mon Feb 10 10:08:00 PST 1997

* "Lohmeyer, John" <JLOHMEYE at COSSYMWEST.CO.SYMBIOS.COM>
*

Peter Johansson said several things about SBP and SBP-2 that I agree with
|from a practical point of view, but which are not entirely accurate:

>It's my understanding that SBP-2 does supercede SBP, just as SCSI-2
>superceded SCSI.

As things are now, the SBP-2 (project 1155-D) does not automatically
supercede SBP (X3.268-199x, project 0992-D).  That is, ANSI will continue
to sell SBP after SBP-2 is approved.  Also, SBP-2 will not have the same
standards designation number (it will be X3.3__ instead of X3.268).  In
the case of SCSI-1 and SCSI-2, both were X3.131 with different years
(1986 and 1994, respectively).

We could request that the SBP-2 project be changed into a revision
project so that SBP-2 would automatically supercede SBP, but I do not
think this is a good idea.  SBP-2 does not have the same scope as SBP
(SBP-2 omits the SCSI command set mapping that is now in the STS
project).  Instead, I recommend that once both SBP-2 and STS are
approved, T10 consider recommending that SBP be withdrawn.

>SBP is, I believe, an approved ANSI
>standard.

Almost.  The ANSI Board of Standards Review (BSR) approval is expected
this month.

John
John Lohmeyer                 E-Mail: john.lohmeyer at symbios.com
Symbios Logic Inc.             Voice: 719-533-7560
4420 ArrowsWest Dr.              Fax: 719-533-7036
Colo Spgs, CO 80907-3444    SCSI BBS: 719-533-7950 300--14400 baud

* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com